Do you feel media has had an impact on our little girls perceptions of adult relationships?

Or how you need to act and look to get a guy?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 2:33 PM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh, most definitely!!!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:34 PM on May. 11, 2011

• yes and no.

I think as a parent it is up to us to help children process what they see...... and to monitor what they see.

But it isnt all on tv........... there are MANY MANY women out there shacking up, allowing men to treat them like crap, dating before divorced, having babies with multiple men, many pregnant teens, etc....... and those are real life examples...... not just tv. We see those kinds of posts on here ALL THE TIME.
    Anonymous

• Good points anon. I also chose the word media, to refer to magazines, and music as well.

I read the magazine titles at the store in the checkout. How to drive your man wild. What guys want. Etc. All in teen magazines. In Teen Vogue, they have ads of skinny boney girls in their undies topless hugging a guy.

Billboards too.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 2:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My parents treated me no different then they did my brothers and I was a tv kid but I think if the parents show by example and have a good relationship it can be more realistic. I myself am never getting married but I learned from my parents how to be in a realistic relationship.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:43 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I agree with anon. The examples our society, as a whole, sets is pretty damaging. There is rampant domestic and sexual violence. Divorce is becoming a means of settling arguments. Parents are never home. School districts are afraid to expel or discipline. Adults teach kids that the goal in life is to have a nice house, nice car, and look good. Sports icons are paid more than the President of the United States. We trample on our teachers, don't help our neighbors, disown our families . . .

It is kind of a mess.

The media is only a reflection of what we are.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Imagination, I don't totally agree with it being a reflection of who we are. I think it's partially that but at the same time people tend to add their own twist on how they think it should be as well. Look at Secret Life on ABC family, there is nothing realistic about that show except a bunch of teens having sex. Everything else is so cheesy and fake.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think the media does but it has for decades now. While things may be more explicit, relatively speaking, I think its been damaging for a long time.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I see your point. The only reason that those shows are on, though, is because of demand and audience. If we didn't like it, advertisers would start to drop off, and a show would be cancelled.

We have control over the media because they need us for success.

More people than we realize actually love the shows that are on . . the sex, drugs, and murders. They watch the shows loyally and keep them going.

A climate based on looks is perpetuated in the family. How many moms gloat about their daughters being prom queen or winner of this or that beauty pageant? How often do we tell each other, "She's just jealous because you are so beautiful?" How many times do we tell our daughters, "You look beautiful"?

We are grooming them.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:06 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Yah, I hear you on that one! I also don't like how the kids insult eachother and make fun of eachother on Nick and Disney shows. And it's supposed to be funny.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I know. :( And the fact that every teenage girl has "Hannah Montana" attitude . . . . it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:13 PM on May. 11, 2011