Can an exclusively Breastfed baby be obese?

I keep getting comments about how fat my baby is... Neither of my older two had an ounce of baby fat or a single roll. She is rolly polly if ever there was a rolly polly child... She was 9lbs 9oz at birth and she's only had formula on rare occasions (like 2-3 times a month). She's almost 5months old, and she's almost 19lbs.

The doctor says she's in the 99th percentile. But I don't believe that an exclusively BF baby can be over weight. I think she's just a chubby baby and will grow in to it... What do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If all you eat is fatty foods I would assume so. your diet is their diet
    Anonymous

• A baby is not obese, breastfed or not. They don't even calculate BMI until age 2, because there's no point. Stop worrying, and just let the comments roll off.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I don't eat fatty foods. I eat low fat, low cal. no preservatives, no food dyes, no additive, whole grain foods... I eat a healthy diet as much as humanly possible! No white flour, No white Sugar... The good stuff...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• She will grow into it. Make sure she gets a lot of "tummy time" so she can work off that extra energy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Baby is fine I think, just NO formula, if you need to supplement at the breast you should pump. Using formula is a no bueno :)
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 2:48 PM on May. 11, 2011

• regardless of breastmilk or formula, babies can be overweight because it's based on their percentiles. but there isn't much you can do about it at 5 months, unless you are OVERfeeding her. if she is hungry, eating, burping and not spitting half of it up, then she's genuinely hungry. sometimes babies get chunky and then start to thin out when they start walking. my middle daughter was 10 pounds at birth and was probably close to 20 lbs by 6 months also, but she stayed that weight for almost a year! now at 2 and half she weighs 28 pounds and is 35 inches tall. when she was old enough to eat table foods i made sure everything going in there was healthy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:49 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Both of my nephews were super fat babies and were exclusively breastfed. My kids were super skinny and exclusively breastfed. I use to joke with my SIL that she had the heavy whipping cream and I had the skim milk.

All size babies are normal and healthy when breastfed. Don't worry too much.

:D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My son was 95% for weight when he was under 6 months. He was so fat and cute. He stopped gaining so much when he hit 6 months. Now he's a healthy 4 year old who's stocky but not fat at all. He's all muscle. He was 22 lbs at 6 months 24 at 1 year.
    I told people it wasn't fat, it was potential energy.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 2:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I don't have the option to pump. I've been through SIX of them and none of them get anything out. And thanks to carpel tunnel I can't do it by hand. Formula is the only option I have when I work. But I only work a total of 8 or 10 hour a month, so usually it's not an deal. I don't believe in giving solids until at LEAST 6 months, and we ONLY do belly time, I don't even put my children to sleep on their backs, it's just not any good for them. I guess I'm old fashioned like that. And my oldest has been in the 98-99th percentile since birth, and has never once been overweight, but he was also never chubby. He's 5, and 55lbs, but he's over 4ft tall...

Anyways, like I said, I didn't believe she was over weight. BUT, I'm getting tired of the nasty comments and cutsy nicknames...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:02 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My almost 9 week old baby is a super chunk. He's already in size 3 diapers and 6 month clothes. He's exclusively breastfed too, no formula what so ever. I eat healthy for the most part, maybe I'll have an ice cream a couple times a week or something but other than that I don't eat a ton of fatty junk crap food. My son's doctor doesn't seem concerned with his weight, if anything she's happy he's eating so good. =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:02 PM on May. 11, 2011