How often should you have your child's food allergy test done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I had my dd tested shortly after her first birthday, and the doctor recommended we wait at least a year to test again. We didn't test her at 2 because we already know she is still allergic to at least some of the foods, so we will probably test again when she is 3.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:59 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I've never had one done unless they're showing a reaction to a specific food.

Do you mean once you know they're allergic to something, having it rechecked periodically?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:24 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Good Question. Bump
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• The reason I ask is because my kids were tested in 2009 and it was brought to my attention that the IGE test is not detailed enough and I should have an IGg test done and I should periodically have it done because new allergies can arise and some allergies may go away. I just though if I had them tested once that would be enough. I did not know it should be done more than once and I also did not know that there was more than one test for this...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:06 PM on May. 11, 2011

• That sounds like a good question for your children's pediatrician or allergist. Be prepared to have it done again soon. There is probably a recommended schedule out there.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:15 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I do know that allergies may not show up right away. My DH is allergic to hornet stings. DD has been stung with no reaction. We took her to the ER immediately as a precaution. ER dr told us she might not show a reaction for the first few stings. We now carry Benadryl with us at all times just in case. Our neighbor's second DS was tested and showed no allergies. She gave him scrambled eggs. He broke out with a horrible rash. She tried them again later and got the same result.
    Moogie1005

Answer by Moogie1005 at 3:21 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes Mom-2-3-Girlz. I mean once you already know your kids have allergies. But it couldn't hurt to have your kids tested whether they have shown signs or not. A friend of mine recently had her 12 year old son tested. They were at my house eating dinner and he started coughing (just a small hacking cough). He said he was fine, A couple of weeks later they came over for Easter dinner and it happened again. I looked at his throught and it was red and swollen. He was having an allergic reaction. To greenbeans of all things! When she had the test done she found out he is actually allergic to many things. Peanuts being one of them... It's better to know BEFORE a reaction occurs.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• never even thought of this...
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:22 AM on May. 12, 2011

• A soften as your doctor tells you to.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:16 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I have never had my son tested for food allergies
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:23 PM on May. 12, 2011