EBF until baby is 1yo

What do you think? Do you have the details an facts that you can share? I would like to do this and I know I'll get a lot of crap, but wouldn't it be best?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 2:51 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• breastfeeding isn't considered "extended" if it's done to 1 year. extended is usually after 2 years old, and most EBF'ers claim there is still a lot of benefits to the child.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:53 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Not really any tips just keep with it and like PP states, EBF is over 2 years.

There are benefits to the child. After all, we promote the benefits of drinking cow milk even to adults...how is that any different than giving them the milk that was specifically designed for humans, breastmilk?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:56 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think she means exclusively, as in no solids or any other form of food before 1 year.

I personally believe children are meant to start eating other foods earlier than that. No facts, just observing my own children.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes, i mean as in no solids until age one, thank you Candi :)
    amberpatterson

Comment by amberpatterson (original poster) at 2:59 PM on May. 11, 2011

• my 6 month old doesnt drink formula but he gets so hungry he needs solids like veggies and cereal. it's not hard to breastfeed after a little bit of practice.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:00 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I also think she means exclusively.

There is info online.. I think you can find some on kellymom.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 PM on May. 11, 2011

• oooh lol you meant "exclusively" til one year. well some pediatricians will tell you that infants under one year of age need nothing but formula or breastmilk. everything else is merely practice, and absolutely not a staple in their diet. that being said though, i did not hold off until 1 year. my kids started reaching for food off my plate :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:04 PM on May. 11, 2011

• my daughter is close to 15 months and still doesn't eat all that much. just go with your gut instincts. your child will let you know if they want food or not! a kid can live on BM alone for the first 2 years~!
    06-07mom

Answer by 06-07mom at 3:09 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Go for it!!! I did with all 3 of my children and they are healthy, happy, and wise. There are loads of studies and resources available which demonstrate the benefits of doing so...far too many good ones to list. The kellymom website is a popular, informative website for sure!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:10 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My son wasn't interested in most food till after a year, and he thrived. But you have to make sure you're eating well, and that your child isn't wanting real food. My son didn't want it (most of the time), he didn't need it, so his dr wasn't concerned. But some babies do need it, and some want it.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 3:11 PM on May. 11, 2011