Has anyone had issues getting awnsers from the school their autistic or disabled child goes?

It seems that every time I want some information about what the class is working on all I get is answers like, language or shapes. Everything is very vague and they don't let parents come into the classroom to observe, you have to schedule it and they keep saying he is still new so maybe in a month or so.

lmv1970

Asked by lmv1970 at 3:21 PM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Your first defense is your child's IEP. These answers your getting are completely rediculace and unlawful. If your not getting answers then you need to go back and rewrite his IEP to make sure you are getting those answers. You are your childs one and only advocate and if you don't know what is going on in the classroom then there is no way that you can know if he is making any progress. How do you know if they are following his IEP if you don't know what is going on? You as the parent have every right as a matter of fact its your JOB to know what is going on in that classroom.

There is a wonderful website www.wrightslaw.com you can go to that is great to help parents navigate the law and most public libraries carry all of their books. They are awsome. They are written by Pete Wright. Feel free to email me: mrsrevjohnson@charter.net
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 3:56 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Okay, personally I'd send the teacher an email: Dear so-so" Can you please let me know what things ds is working on at school so I can reinforce them at home. If you are using a particular method or technique please include that as well or maybe we can even have a face to face meeting so we can talk. I know that on the IEP his goals are _____, _____.... is there anything else that you are noticing right now. I know that sometimes children will do things at school that they can't home, and vice-versa. I really want us to be on the same page and work toghether. Thank you, ______________.

She responds. If the response is not clear enough..... Dear so and so: I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by shapes, language etc. Could we have a meeting so that you can show me. Thank you so much for your time and attention. I'm available to meet on "Tuesday or Thursday of next week at 2 o'clock."

con.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:39 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I suggest email b/c its a black and white document you can refer to later. Also b/c it allows the teacher flexibility in answer ... although if you don't get a response within a few days I would send in a note or follow up email asking for a response.

Sometimes teachers are just not available to really talk to us right at that moment. It could be the beg. of the day and they are trying to get the class into routine or even at the end of the day they maybe still trying to make sure everyone is where they are supposed to be etc. or they may have a meeting to go to or a drs appt etc. Its diff. to do a discussion off the cuff so they did a quick answer.

Also they may not really know exactly what you want to know... esp. since this is the beg. I would suggest trying the email, honey approach and see where it gets you... give the benefit of doubt and crack the whip later if needed.
    GL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:44 PM on May. 11, 2011