How do you get past this?

Not sure if this is the right place for this. A few months ago we lost our apartment. Dhs hours were cut and I was looking for a job. We couldn't afford rent, bills, and to fix the car all at once after having his hours cut down to 20 hours a week. Needless to say we lost our apartment, we had signed a 1 year lease and only had a few months left. We tried to get them to work with us but they wouldn't. Now because of all of this we have an eviction. So we went to stay with my parents. Now we have saved up enough to get out of my parents house. How do we get past the eviction? All I have ever been told by apartment managers, realtors, etc. is, as long as you don't have an eviction you will be fine. So how do we get past this? I am worried we won't be able to rent anyplace because of this. I plan on being honest about, I won't hide it, but I am afraid no one will want to rent to us. Has anyone here ever dealt with this? What can we do to be able to rent another apartment or house? We are not bad people, just victims of the economy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I went through the exact same thing exact my husband had lost his job all together. I was upfront and honest when we started looking for a new place to rent. That way, when they ran our credit, they weren't surprised when the eviction popped up. I was able to rent without any problems, just had to put a little more of a deposit down than if I would have w/out the eviction. You will be amazed at how understanding people can be when you are honest from the start. GL, hope it all works out for you and your family.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 3:29 PM on May. 11, 2011

• We had a foreclosure and we were up front with the apartment managers about it. We had to pay a higher deposit (one month's rent plus the regular deposit).
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:31 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Go for private rentals and try to prove that your credit was good and it was a lapse, make sure you have good references and submit any related paperwork that supports this to the decision makers.You might also want to contact your local housing development office and ask for help, sometimes they have listings or can support you with programs to help out.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:28 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Honest is best, but they'll find it on your credit report regardless. Also, as long as you paid everything you owed for the entire year lease, most places, even though you get evicted or break the lease still require you to pay for the entire contract, it sucks, but that's how they are. You may be required to pay security deposit, first, last months rent all up front, but many places are sticklers no matter what. my sister went through the same thing, she actually had to pay for the entire lease up front, then after that they let her go month-month. GL to you!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I am so sorry you are going through this tough times, someone will understand, most of us have been hit by this economy one way or another, hugs!

Answer by older at 3:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I don't have an eviction, but I have cruddy credit after losing my job and getting behind on everything including a mortgage. We eventually gave the bank back our mold filled house with problems galore and walked away. We have never been happier about that decision. The house was making us all sick. We found a great place to rent off of craigslist. Our landlord wasn't interested in our credit score, he went off of how he felt about us and so far, so good. Remember what you said, you are not bad people. There is a place out there for you. Good luck with your search!
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 3:28 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Well, I have a broken lease on my history. We informed our previous apartment on what month we were moving, which happened to be the same month our lease would have been up. We gave our 30 notice the beginning of the month and to our surpise about a month later we get this letter in the mail stating that we had broken our lease, so we have a broken lease fee, and other charges. They told us that this going to go to a collection agency if we didn't pay it in 15 days. WTH??? So needless to say we now have this on our history because there is no way right now we can afford to pay that and our bills. BUT....we have been told that once it is paid then it comes off your history. Not sure if it is the same in your state. Sorry that you are having to go thru all this drama. Hopefully you will find someone who will rent to you anyways.
    MsCatherine

Answer by MsCatherine at 4:58 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You will need to find a landlord that will take the risk with a tenant with an eviction.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Is there someone who will cosign your lease?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 PM on May. 11, 2011

• it takes a while for an eviction to show up on your credit so hopefully not on there yet. but if it is if u explain wht happened and now have proof of income u should b ok or have parents b a cosigner
    andrea937

Answer by andrea937 at 8:38 PM on May. 11, 2011