Americans

Is anyone else sick of the way Americans are portrayed on TV? I feel like other countries think we're all like Sex and The City and Desperate Housewives and crap... just a bunch of sex-crazed, materialistic, city-slickers.
People aren't like that where I come from! We have good family values and a good local culture. I just think it sucks that foreigners think we're all like what they see on TV.

sfwilson

Asked by sfwilson at 4:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• "90% of the women i met in the states are nothing but: Make-up, hair, nails, clothes,ect."

You aren't from where I'm from! Most of my friends don't even own mascara. I wear it maybe twice a year. No one does their nails. Dressing up means putting on your best Levis, no fancy brand names.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Mhhh.. well... i am a foreigner... i lived in the states for quite a while and some of that stuff actually is true. 90% of the women i met in the states are nothing but: Make-up, hair, nails, clothes,ect.

HEY... i dont say everyone is like that.. i said 90% of the women i met... (that was in different states and regions).

I think though, that every country has people like that. Some more, some less.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You must have been in the cities. I think that's all that gets represented.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I know some of it's true... I'm just saying it doesn't speak for everyone, and if you came to the rural areas, you'd see how unfair those notions are...
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• oh dont worry.. i have seen woman like that in small towns as well.. but like i said... you cant speak for everyone...
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No I do worry, that's the thing.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yes but on the other hand I picture the entire middle east as one big land mine because that's all I ever see on TV here. I'm sure there's some parts or cultures there that are beautiful.
    Anonymous

• I'm surprised no one else feels this way... I must live in a friggin' box!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Other side of the story is that world is saying how fat americans are.
    Anonymous

• My boyfriend is a 'foreigner' and he's never perceived Americans like what he saw in TV and movies :oD He actually prefers Americans to Costa Ricans LOL! But I'm sure a lot of ignorant people in other countries actually think we live like that. *sigh*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2008