Does this sound mean to a puppy?

we have had a Yorkie for just over a week and she was doing really good with potty training, we would put her in a box with a puppy pad every so often. She was doing so good rarely had accidents but now for the last 2 days she hasn't pooped on the puppy pad, just wherever in the house. We leave her in the box until she whines, well now she can jump out. Anyway I was reading that we should keep her in her kennel if we are not holding her and only take her out to go potty on the puppy pad or if we want to hold her. But do not just let her run around. Is that right or mean? She's 10 wks old and I know this is gonna take time I just want to do it right the first time. Thanks

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 3:42 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Pets

• Maybe she ready to go outside to do its business. Do have an area outside for it to go with having to walk her all he time? I worked for my cockapoodle
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 3:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• No, it's not mean at all. In fact, my chi mix is kenneled when I'm not playing with her, feeding her, or walking her. She will not go on my floor because of it. She holds it and goes outside when I take her. No it's not mean. It gives them an excellent foundation for house breaking. Puppy pads are a waste of money.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Not mean at all, but I got to warn you, I own one and he has trained me!

Answer by older at 3:49 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Crate train her. My dog trainer said to leave her in the crate, take her outside, play with her for about an hour then put her back in a crate. He said to leave her in the crate most of the day. It's fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks everyone! I can't wait till we move in 5 weeks so I can have her go outside but where we are now we are not suppose to have her so that's why she doesn't get to go outside much and we have to use the puppy pads.

O and "older" what do you mean he's got you trained?
    mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You can't put a small dog outside all day. Yorkies are not outdoor dogs. So please, just for potty and play time. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:25 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I don't agree with leaving a dog in a crate for extended periods like others have recommended. It can be damaging to their mental well being. There are stages of development in puppies just like in babies. Too much isolation can cause life long behavior problems. I have a puppy and I don't crate him constantly, only when I am asleep or not at home or I simply can't watch him. The rest of the time I encourage him to stay close to me and I supervise him closely. If he leaves my sight I call him back to me. THis type of supervision, combined with proper crate training and a schedule is the best method for potty training, imo.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 5:38 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Um, crating a puppy is not harmful. And no one was talking about extended periods of time. Just not free to roam the house. I have worked with shelters, and rescues, and when we foster they actually ask us to do so. It makes the animal more likely to be placed in a home and not get returned. Just because you are crate training doesn't mean you are isolating your pet.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• you can also loop the leash through your belt to keep a better eye on puppy :)
    http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/how-to-potty-train-an-eightweek-old-puppy/e576ad94-7c7c-e561-687b-87ea9001d980
    great website I just got a puppy too and she is like.. refusing ot pee outside even if we go for hour long walks and she had water at the very beginning of it.. its annoying but I am sure she and I will work through it !
    spitfire06

Answer by spitfire06 at 7:17 PM on May. 11, 2011

• That's not mean. That's crate training and it's very effective. I always recommend crate training. It uses the denning instinct to your advantage. If anything, it'll train her faster. It also helps her recognize the crate as her private space which is essential for a dog. It becomes somewhere they can go if they're tired or even if they just want some undisturbed privacy. Like a child's bedroom. Once she's potty trained allow access to the house one room at a time. Keep her contained to one room for a few days, then add on another. It's a great way to gradually integrate her into her new home environment. Make sure the kennel is always accessible to her if she wants to go in.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:12 PM on May. 11, 2011