How do I explain to my 5 yr old brother that my baby eats from my boob???

He's a very curious child whenever i tell him I'm feeding her he wants to know how and I don't know how to explain it to him..

kaitensmommy

Asked by kaitensmommy at 3:47 PM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would let his mother handle that. She can explain it as detailed or little as she would like then.
    Anonymous

• lol! dont u love kids! i would try to explain how ur like a cow! tell him how u milk a cow and say that wat the baby is doing! or just make something up! i cant tell u how many lies i have told my kids!!!! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:49 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Haha, I went through this with my 6yo DS. I just told asked him if he knows how baby cows eat from their mommy's, and he knew, and I said well your baby sister is like a cow, and mommy feeds her like we're cows lol and he got it, no more questions asked
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:49 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Nursing is nothing to be shy about, just simply tell him that its a natrual thing and that all babys need there mothers milk to stay healthy :) My son 4 yr old son was nursed for a very long time so for him to see me nurse his 12 month old sister is nothing.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:50 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Just say "some mommies feed their babies from their body". "Isn't that neat?"
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Well whatever you decide be prepared for him to ask if he can too :)
    I agree though let his mom tell him.
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 3:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• What the heck is so wrong with the truth? Why wait for his mom? What is SO wrong an secretive about nursing?

Simply tell him, "I am feeding my baby. Mom's make milk for babies and this is how they eat." No need to make him cringe at BF or make him think it is something shameful.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• He's developmentally behind a few years because of certain disabilities and me and my mom just don't really know how to word it so that he will understand..
    kaitensmommy

Comment by kaitensmommy (original poster) at 4:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Maybe you can google up some pictures on the internet of nursing kittens and show them to him and tell him the big kitty is the mama..just like YOU are a mama and the little kitties are her babies..just like YOUR baby and the kitty mama makes milk from her body just like you and her babies eat from thier mama just like your baby eats from you.
    Simple and honest..and he probably won't even ask you again. It will be no big deal. like , OH OKAY...curiosity satisfied.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:40 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Just tell him like it is with as little detail at possible. Kids are usually happy with straight & uncomplicated answers. It's not like you're talking about sex with him. Just tell him that when mommies have babies their bodies make milk and that's what the babies use for food. You can show him some photos or videos of animals (dogs, cats, horses...etc....) nursing their babies and he'll see it's just a natural way of life and that they have some form of breasts that produce food for their babies just like his mommy does. I'm thinking that will probably take care of it. Don't make a big deal out of it and he won't make a big deal out of it.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 9:23 PM on May. 11, 2011