Betta fish questions

Ok, so I don't know anything about bettas but my DH bought the kids 2 bettas and a tank that has a divider to keep them separated. The divider has tiny holes so the water can flow back and forth to each side and it doesn't quite go all the way to the sides so the fish can see each other. They can't fit through the little gaps on the sides but they can see each other and are always trying to chase each other off and flaring their fins at each other.

Is this ok? Or is it unhealthy for them to constantly be trying to fight each other through the divider?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Pets

• As long as they can't get at each other I suppose, maybe I'm mean, but I think it's entertaining to watch...not actual fighting, but watch them get all riled up.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It's fine. They will eventually give it a rest. It's new to them. I used to have tons of them and we always had them close together like that. They do that when they see a female too. But don't put them together either! She'll eat him! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Oh yeah, hehe I used to think it was cool to put a mirror up to them as well, to see them puff up. lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:53 PM on May. 11, 2011

• They're a fighting fish! They should be fine, it's just they're nature!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 3:53 PM on May. 11, 2011

• She'll eat him lol OMG I just busted out laughing, not sure why it was so funny, I guess just one of those days! Thanks musicmom :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I may be a softy, but I would think if they were constantly feeling like they needed to fight, wouldn't that stress the fish out?
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 4:02 PM on May. 11, 2011

• they'll get used to each other sooner of later and it gives them something to do
    Threes_for_me

Answer by Threes_for_me at 4:07 PM on May. 11, 2011

• lol it's true. Unless he is squeezing the eggs out of her for breeding, you have to keep them separate, becuase she'll go after him.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:12 PM on May. 11, 2011

• the dbl tank should have came with a blue slider to keep them from stressing over trying to fight each other.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 4:35 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I don't ever plan to try to put them together. They are both male, at least that's what it said on the containers they came in, so I don't need to worry about a female eating a male unless we get one later on.

I'm a softy too. I worry that they'll get too tired and die or something trying to chase each other all day.

Yes, the divider is blue and keeps them separated, but they can still see each other.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:41 PM on May. 11, 2011