At what age is it ok to leave the kid home alone and watch the siblings?

My kids are 10 (she'll be 11 in oct), 6 and 1. Is it ok to leave my kids at home alone for a short period of time (1-2 hours)?

Mamivon3

Asked by Mamivon3 at 4:19 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think most laws say 13 is the legal age.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:20 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it might be too much for a 10 year old to take care of a 1 year old.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:21 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Most laws say 13. but Im not sure that's old enough I think 15 is a good age.
    3mclark

Answer by 3mclark at 4:21 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You need to check your STATE laws. Texas does not have an age limit. Texas state law states that they go based off the maturity level of the child as well as the amount of time left alone.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It depends on the maturity of the child.
    My oldest son is 11 ... and I wont be leaving him home alone to babysit for a LONNNNNNG time, LOL..however..I do leave him home alone with no one to babysit for an hour or two here and then, like if he gets home from school and I'm unable to be here at that time or I have to go to the grocery store and he doesnt want to go.
    However..on the flip side..I was 11 when I started babysitting my 3 younger siblings...but I was more mature than my son is when I was that age. Just use your best judgement call mama...and if you do decide that your child is ready to take on that responsibility..make sure they always have a way to contact you and talk with them (DRILL THEM actually) what to do in case of an emergency...give several scenarios that could happen and walk them through what they should do and how to handle it. Hope this helps.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• BTW I can tell you 10 years old taking care of a 1 year old is hard. I was 10 taking care of a newborn. Then when I was 12 I hard a 2 yr old and a 1 yr old left in my care 6 days a week.

Not easy
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:24 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I our state the legal age is 12 although I did start leaving my oldest when he was 11. He took the baby sitting course at 11 so I let him stay alone although I usually didn't leave my youngest with him because I thought it was to much for him to handle. She was at the time. Sometimes I would leave my middle one with him and he was 9 at the time. I started out small with maybe a 1/2 hour at most.

If it were me I might leave the oldest alone although I would not leave the 1 year old with her and I probably won't leave the 6 year old either. I think it is to much responsibility for the 10 year old.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:25 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I agree that you should consult your state laws... A child can't be left home alone in Alabama until they're 12... And they can't watch anyone at that age.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 4:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I personally think it depends a lot on how old the kids are that you are leaving them with. I had 3 kids under three so on the rare occasion we hired a babysitter, I was picky about who I got since my kids were such a handful- even for me- lol. I guess I didn't realize there were laws about ages and babysitting.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 4:28 PM on May. 11, 2011

• alright thank you all. I 'll check the laws here and see. I just don't want to take them all to my appointment on friday, so I figured I could let them alone a little esp when my husband arrives home around 5. But I'll see.
    Mamivon3

Comment by Mamivon3 (original poster) at 4:37 PM on May. 11, 2011