Unfriending people on FB for not voting your way?

I seriously saw this on my FB this morning. They basically said if you are going to vote for something they are against, just unfriend them. I didn't know people can't be friends unless they vote your way. I don't think I have even discussed who I voted for with any of my friends. Ever...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• I was brought up not to discuss politics and religion in mixed company. As I see on FB, MANY MANY MANY people were not brought up this way and I am SHOCKED at the extremely hateful and offensive political posts I see. I generally let a few slide, but if it is a constant habit by a particular person I quietly delete them, I don't need to see their hateful crap on a daily basis. I have no problem if they want to DISCUSS things in a mature manner, but some of these people are just NUTS and they are LOUD about it, and I'm just not interested...so, to answer your question, you don't have to vote like me to be your friend, but you should have good manners ;)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• No, people have different opinions. It just seems very childish.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 4:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• to be "my" friend, oops...
    gramsmom

• doesn't sound like much of a friend to me...but FB is famous for people 'friending' aquaintances..not true friendship.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:42 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Thats juts crazy, everyone has the right to vote for whoever they want, Some of my friends voted for Obama and I didn't "defriend" them. lol
    MomDW

Answer by MomDW at 4:44 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it is a little extreme, but I definitely think that some votes give away a lot about a person's values and thought process, and I can see where it would be difficult to maintain a friendship if you were extreme opposites on something that was very important to you...gay marriage, abortion, etc...things people feel really strongly about one way or another.

Then again, I also agree that I was raised not to talk about it much with others.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It's Facebook.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:02 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I don't agree, I have a great friend who is as conservative as they come, and I am very liberal.. We don't really talk about it, she knows that I don't agree w/her politics and she doesn't agree with mine. We can joke about it, she always calls me "hippy chick" and I don't mind because there are so many other things that make her one of my best friends.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:12 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Most of my friends vote the same way I do but I have very good friends who do not and I would never delete them...that is just petty and silly...
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 1:00 AM on May. 12, 2011

• YES YES I undersatand YOU What ever its is your situation Always THINK THINK and have a
    ~
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´ (¸.•´ * Happy Thursday !!
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:11 PM on May. 12, 2011