Switching to a booster seat...

My 2 year old daughter weighs about 35 LBS and is around 35" tall. The booster seat box says that she has to be 35 LBS and 37" to ride in a booster seat. I am a little scared to put her in it though....I guess not seeing her in a car seat is gonna be sad! LOL
When did you switch your toddler to a booster seat? She doesn't have a checkup appt until May. Thanks for any input!

TiffanyReed

Asked by TiffanyReed at 4:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 3 yr old is still in a 5 point harness seat. I do not think that booster seat are safe for small children. I would consider putting her in a booster about 4 or 5.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I will keep mine in her carseat until she outgrows it, not when she is just big enough for the booster. My toddler seat goes up to 40 pounds. And she'll be 40 pounds before I move her.
    Why?
    A booster allows much more freedom; it is easy for a small child to wiggle out of the seat belt to reach that dropped toy, cup, or cookie. It also doesn't give as much protection in a crash - especially if they have wiggled out of the belt or loosened the belt in any way.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• don't waste your time with a booster. She's not big enough even though the box "says" My son is the same measurements as your dd and he sits comfortably in a Graco Nautilis and is only on the 2nd slot. He's going to stay in it till he reaches the weight limit, I don't care if he's 8 before that happens
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My son is 5 and he's 42 pounds and about 44 inches tall(I think, I should check again) and he sits in a 5 point harness. Be safe, keep her in a 5 pt harness even if you have to buy a new seat.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No, no no! Keep her in a 5 point harness for as long as possible, at least until 50 lbs! She's way too small and young for a booster.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• 4 years and 40lbs is a minimum safety guideline for booster seats. 5-6 years and 50lbs is a more realistic age and weight though. If she has outgrown her current harnessed car seat, look into the graco nautilus.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 6:55 AM on Mar. 7, 2009