Do you feel ashamed or embarassed

to be an American and be perceived certain ways by other countries? And what part of being American makes you feel that way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm PROUD to be American and if some person in some other country has an issue with me, that's their problem.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Americans are known in other countries for being greedy and immoral. I don't feel like I'm either of these things so I hate to be automatically perceived this way when I say I am American.
    Anonymous

• I guess I'm proud to be an American and I know many other countries have shady histories but sometimes I do feel a little ashamed to be part of a nation that was founded on all the horrible things that it was.
    Anonymous

• I think we are slipping a lot in terms of our economy and ability to take care of our own country's needs. Our ranking in terms of education are slipping. I just don't see us as leaders anymore. It is a little embarrassing. I'm not half as worried about immigration as emigration.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Sometime yes. I lived overseas for 4 years and people there are so laid back and chill. people are more worried about living for the day and enjoying what they have. Here, everything is about whats the next best thing, gotta have this, gotta be there. It's horrible. People are greedy and doesn't matter who they hurt to get what they want. AKA the killing at toys r us on black friday. Now on the hand, I love what America stands for and what this country was built on. Things have just changed So much...
    momma_2_three

Answer by momma_2_three at 5:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I've recently come to a conclusion. I am damn PROUD to be an American. I'm happy to come from this country and I'm proud of my heritage.

That being said.

I am NOT proud of the majority of my fellow Americans. There are a lot of hateful, evil people in this country that make a lot of people look bad >:(

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I'm proud of this country's ideals, embarrassed by rendition and torture.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I think people forget that in general America still has a good reputation around the world. Yes, maybe we are as a whole perceived to be materialistic and shallow at times, but we are also generous and have a proud history. Lots of countries have benefited from our rise to the status of superpower and we provide humanitarian aid to so many developing nations. Certainly there are down sides, but our positives far out weigh our negatives.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Cait* said: I've recently come to a conclusion. I am damn PROUD to be an American. I'm happy to come from this country and I'm proud of my heritage.

That being said.

I agree.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 6:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yes times, I have family members from France and they think Americans are idiots, they feel that our government exploits us and we do nothing about it. For instance in France they get 6months paid maternity leave when I told my cousin we get 12 weeks unpaid she was horrified and felt that our system is broken and Americans are stupid. Its very embarrassing.

Anonymous