What is the best advice you ever got?

I was thinking about this site a lot today, and that got me wondering, what advice did you get that really helped you?

Once my Dad told me that high school only lasts four years (translation: Get some perspective.) At the time, I thought that was bad advice, but now, it seems great!

Several years ago, I read this in a blog, or in a parenting magazine, a woman said that she bases all of her tough decisions on how it will affect her life in 10 minutes, 10 months, and 10 years. That really stuck with me. I wrote it down. It kind of breaks things down in a way that I hadn't seen before. Especially when you have kids and a husband you have to factor into your life decisions, where you were single before.

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 5:07 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Oh, and from my grandmother: wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it. Right is right even if no one is doing it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:48 PM on May. 11, 2011

• "Don't worry so much about other people...they arent sitting around worrying about you"~~~My mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:09 PM on May. 11, 2011

• There are a few:

Keep your words sweet because you just might have to eat them;

your purpose in this world might just be to be kind to people;

to the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world;

you never have to take back what you never said;

and last but not least - we can learn a lot from a box of crayons; we are all different, but we have to live in the same box.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:46 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Struggle as hard as you can for what you believe in.
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 5:17 PM on May. 11, 2011

• same here lucky209...stop worry about other people (my father said that to me)
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 5:28 PM on May. 11, 2011

• This is the best post I've ever read! I love all your answers. Here's my mom's best saying- If you can't say something nice, don't say anything!
    dkvhensley

Answer by dkvhensley at 10:18 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I forgot lol My favorite one is An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure I swear I live by this one daily lol

timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 12:04 AM on May. 12, 2011

• once you reach the stars grab a ladder and continue on your journey. Never limit yourself. ~ My Grandmother
    timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 6:01 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I like all of those, it reminded me of something my mother used to say (usually when we were at the beach) "Half of the people look better than you, and half of them look worse than you, so stop worrying about how you look!" And my other favorite on her hit parade, "This isn't a fashion show!"

Not exactly advice, I know. My mother doesn't give advice. If she feels a compulsion to tell you something after like, a year or so, she will mention it to you. You will never remember it. People listen to her very closely becaue of that. It must not be genetic! LOL
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 5:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Jesse, I loved the one from your Grandmother, so wise!
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 8:46 AM on May. 12, 2011