Flying with kids

I'm flying from Seattle to Knoxville, TN in a few days. It'll be the first time that I've flown by myself with both kids. I'm not worried about my younger DS b/c I'll have him in the moby and he always sleeps in it. But, what kind of toys should I take for my older DS? He will be 4 in a month. So far, I've got the Mobigo and 3 games (one of them is new), some crayons and a coloring book, and a magnidoodle. They toys need to be small enough to fit in his little backpack. I just want to make sure that I have enough to entertain him so that I don't have to deal with a crying child when I'll have the baby on my lap.

kasey22

Asked by kasey22 at 5:12 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sounds like a good selection. good luck!
    what about some snacks? dry cereal in a ziploc bag? fruit snacks?
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 5:17 PM on May. 11, 2011

• What does he like? My sister flew with her DD at that age, and she was obssessed with the lift the flap books, so sis bought several new books. New books are always a good idea, actually. I did a lot of car travel with my son. Try to find contained things with no pieces. I like binoculars, kalaidescopes, flashlights (small and not bright!) are always fun, so is silly putty (who cares, it's not YOUR plane!) but TSA might not like that one. I would say a few action figures, but that can get out of hand, but finger puppets, one for you one for him, you can play with those even if the baby is sleeping, a jacob's ladder can be fun. Don't give him all the toys at once, don't give them to him ahead of time and also pack SNACKS. Dried fruit is good. Put him by the window, don't stress and he won't stress and you'll have a great trip!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 5:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• For snacks, I have a couple of bags of goldfish, fruit cereal, a package of poptarts, and some of those Granola Thins. I think that I'm just worried because we will have to leave our house by 2 am to have enough time to get to the airport and get through security. So I'm terrified that he won't go back to sleep and will be extremely cranky.
    kasey22

Comment by kasey22 (original poster) at 5:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Wow momma! Looks like you have it covered! Flying is rough with little ones. Do they let you take snacks now? Last time I flew was in 2006, and they weren't having it.
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 6:49 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Try letting him pick out special pajamas for the plane ride. That tends to get them excited for a flight instead of grumpy and then he'll be comfortable enough to fall back to sleep. Maybe his favorite story book or a picture book to look at. anything engaging. Toys that keep him thinking or focused are your best bet.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:21 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Sonya, the first time that I ever flew was in 2009 and my older son was 2.5 at the time. They let me take snacks then and the 2 other times that I have flown since then, they've let me.

Thanks for all of your answers! I got him one more toy--a Phineas and Ferb thing that changes your voice. I think that should do it.
    kasey22

Comment by kasey22 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on May. 11, 2011