Any humaine way to stop a dog from barking?

We have a 7 1/2 yr old Min Pin who barks at the air or anything for that matter. We've tried a bark collar, and I refuse to muzzle her for longer than it takes the vet to do her check-up. Any suggestions?

sneakyboo

Asked by sneakyboo at 5:24 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Pets

• Train her using corrections and positive reinforcements. You have to first identify what is triggering the barking and then desensitize her to that stimuli. For example, she barks at the doorbell, so you work in sessions, have someone ring the doorbell, when she barks give her a correction and have her sit, when she sits and is quiet and calm give her a reward. You should work in daily sessions, like 30 minutes at a time. Eventually she should hear the doorbell and sit instead of bark. Hope this made sense and hope it helps!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 5:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• get the Dog Whisperer's book

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I used marbles in a can for a while and shook it when my puppy barked, she didn't like it and ran off in another room. Some people say spray in the nose with water with a spray bottle, it won't hurt them haven't tried that one myself. My dog is now not a barker, only when she hears someone outside the house and that's exactally how I want her to bark, as a watch dog only. It does takes patience and you have to work over and over with them for them to catch on. Good Luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:08 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Not gonna sell her. We've had her since she was 8 wks old. :(
    sneakyboo

Comment by sneakyboo (original poster) at 5:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Dogs are supposed to protect their homes. If you teach them not to bark when someone comes to the door or when they hear a noise outside....don't be shocked when an intruder enters your house with the dog standing RIGHT there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on May. 12, 2011

• i had the same problem with my dogs i went and bougth a water spraying can.. and every time he barked i sprayed water on his nose.. it worked with my dogs...
    trying23

Answer by trying23 at 4:32 AM on May. 12, 2011

• we have a wiemy and (sounds bad but WHATEVER) we use a shock collar. We DO NOT however use the shock itself. Its got a beep beep beep, and when he ONLY SEES the remote to it he stops . its like warning him ( the beep is) but I /we put it on him around 5:30 to 7:30... people walking and walking their dogs really gets him excited. So we just use the warning... 1/2the time we can leave the remote where he can see it and he is just as laid back as ever.... good luck
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 5:49 PM on May. 11, 2011