I fear my toddler is at risk for obesity... Update and new ?

Okay so I have been doing what you said and letting her eat today... This just doesn't sound normal.

She had breakfast: 2 packs of oatmeal and some grapes
a cheese stick, an apple, 6 grapes and 3 crackers
Lunch 2 PB&apples sauce sandwiches on wheat with steamed carrot sticks(she will eat them cooked and soft)
another cheese stick, a cup of yogurt, some grapes, 4 crackers, a pickle and some plain popcorn
I skipped her scheduled snacks
and just ate dinner 3 small bowls of chicken and rice w/ peas and carrots and just asked me for some cheese!!

Are you sure this is a good idea? I feel like she is going the throw up if she keeps eating like this?? Not to mention gain a ton of weight to fast...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• maybe she is going through a growth spurt?

don't you ever have days where you feel like you want to eat everything, then not be hungry the next day?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:51 PM on May. 11, 2011

• But she is like this constantly for the last few months. I have been telling her no and letting her have regularly scheduled meals and sometimes letting her have a snack in between but she begs to eat constantly. I don't think there was a 10 min time frame all day once I started giving in that she didn't have some sort of food in her hand.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:54 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It sounds fine and sounds like a growth spurt. She is eating healthy foods, so, you are doing great there. My son at more than the equivilent of 2 packs of oatmeal as a toddler, enough so that I bought the canister of oats to be able to fix it for him. he was so big on snacking, but, I can tell you that even at 2 and 3, he could eat 2 Sonic burgers. He also was 4 and would eat 5 home made sausage biscuits for breakfast and then 4 PB sandwiches for lunch. He has NEVER been over the 50% for weight. He is 15 years and is barely 100lbs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• As long as you're offering healthy foods for meals and snacks I don't see a HUGE problem with this schedule. You *might* want to talk to her doctor though. My sister has some kind of problem where she doesn't get the "I'm hungry" signals. She can literally go all day without eating. The only warning is that she starts getting real (ahem) cranky (yeah, that works) when she's gone past a meal. I've heard of others that don't get the full signal so they will literally eat all day.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:13 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I remember both kids going through phases like that. Probably a growth spurt.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 9:42 PM on May. 11, 2011

• that does sound like a little too much food. i think you still need portion control. my aunt had a problem with my cousin eating like that and she is now 12 and is over weight. she's eating more than an adult portion. i think one pack of oatmeal and grapes is fine, 1 sandwich with the carrots, etc. at least you seem to be feeding her healthy choices, that's a good thing! i can imagine it must be hard though,,if she's still hungry
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:09 AM on May. 12, 2011

• If you have concerns about diet- you REALLY need to talk to her doctor about it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:10 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Where is she on the weight curve? It sounds like a lot, but if she's active and not overweight I wouldn't worry.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:13 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Did you say she had 2 sandwhiches for lunch ? Thats probably not good.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 10:28 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I would talk to her pedi.
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 12:07 PM on May. 12, 2011