Latin

Did you take Latin? Do your kids? Was it a good experience?

elliecooper

Asked by elliecooper at 6:06 PM on May. 11, 2011 in

• No, but I wish I had. Latin teaches you about declensions and many other interesting things about languages (I learned something about them from German).

Latin is not terribly practical. If you want to go into international business or something, German, Japanese or Chinese or Russian would be fun. If you want to know a language that is easy and practical for everyday in the US, Spanish is great, or French if you're up north. Latin is great (especially as a 3rd language, such as with Spanish- the 2 are related so it's an easy pair) if you want to go into medicine, law or theology. Theology is the only field I can think of which really demands Latin these days. Of course, a lot of the great works were written in Latin, so culturally it's nice, but nice doesn't pay the bills (thanks, DH).

Learning it on your own seems to me a pain. You can't just look words up in the dictionary until you know the structure of the language
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 6:31 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I went to Catholic school and they only offered Spanish or Latin. I studied Latin (Spanish would have ultimately been more useful because I live in Texas...) and it certainly gave me a good base for other languages particularly when I later studied French in college and Spanish in my work life. There is a logic to it that is also very useful. That said, it isn't "practical"--I would use it as an stepping stone to the Romance languages or as a base to build a medical vocabulary. Several of my friends actually teach Latin so I can't say it is entirely a dead language.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:37 PM on May. 16, 2011

• no but my oldest son knows some Spanish
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2011