Here lets think about this for a second (another spin off of the dress debate sorry)

would you waste your money on clothes your kids wont wear and will just throw into a drawer with the tags still on them? or would you buy them clothes they will wear constantly?

im not saying that the slutty dress being described in the other post is ok dont get me wrong, im just saying if your kids needed new clothes and are in high school and wanted to change their style to something a little different (and within "modesty" reason in your house) wouldn't you buy them clothes that they would wear all the time?

for example my grandparents got me sweaters and really really girly shirts....they are still in the box with the tag still on them, i have 10 pairs of jeans i wont put on because im not comfortable in them, all flared jeans i hate flared jeans, even now as im 6 1/2 months pregnant i will not wear flared jeans i wear 1 pair skinny jeans every week and maybe if its hot a pair of baggy cargo shorts with studs and chains all over them

if you saw my pic from the other post, heres another example of what i wore in high school (lol this pic is from when i was 16)

i wore that and my parents bought me that stuff because i was comfortable wearing it, i would put up another pic of me in my trench coat, combat boots, patched jeans, and my spaghetti strapped shirt but i cant find that picture lol(and no my belly didnt show i was leaning back because my mom was calling me) and yes that is very modest for me, my clothes dont get any different from that, also my mom is a hard core christian and loved what i wore because it was who i was

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 6:07 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would rather they wore things that they actually liked. I think freedom of expression is important, and (within reason) I let my kids pick out their own clothes and hairstyles. My mom would never let me cut my hair and it drove me crazy as a kid- she did, however, let me wear some things I'm sure she thought were hideous (I grew up in the grunge days- I had lots of plaid and floor length skirts with fishnets and combat boots!) I appreciated the chance to express myself through what I wore. I want my kids to have the same options.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:12 PM on May. 11, 2011

• LMBO...... If I saw you in that I would think you were very pissed off at the world.

I allow my 16 yr old daughter to pick out her own clothing.... with in limits of modesty. IF she chose to wear something like you have on in your photo I would have a LONG talk to find out why she felt she needed to have that "look". IF it was just some weird fashion thing and not a scream for help.... then I would be ok with it.... when appropriate. Meaning not to family dinners, family outings, or places where we interact with people from our office... that dress would simply NOT be appropriate.
    Anonymous

• Clothing is such a harmless, simple way for kids to express themselves. If they have no control over the simple things like clothing, hair style, jewelry, etc, then they're going to find a way that will be a lot bigger. I have no problem with letting my kids pick out whatever they want to wear.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:17 PM on May. 11, 2011

• no im not mad at the world lol im just comfortable in those clothes....a lot more comfortable then if i got clothes from forever 21 or places like that,

and to be honest i would never wear the dress they are describing in the other post....i dont wear dresses anyway XD
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 6:18 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I let my dd pick her clothes (within reason) because I want her to establish her own sense of style, and think for herself. She knows more than I do about what the kids are "into" and what won't get made fun of at school... Even when she was little we let her pick from approved outfits...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 6:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• ceecee- thats how my parents were with me but since i picked pretty decent clothes they started to just say "go pick what you want under $100"
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 6:30 PM on May. 11, 2011

• When she's older (she's 10 now) she'll be allowed more freedoms... Kids have to be able to express themselves! And my dd is VERY artistic... If she couldn't express herself, she'd probably lose it! LOL
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 6:32 PM on May. 11, 2011

• LOL im really artistic to XD you should have seen how my make up was in high school...no one cared either since i already dressed like that XD

and age 10 was when i started actually picking my own stuff so thats when i started picking that stuff in my picture lol
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 6:35 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I let my kids pick their clothing within reason. I have no issue with your clothing. Shirts should be to the hips, dresses, skirts and shorts to the knees unless they have leggings under them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:39 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i know some people are gonna laugh at this but this is how i did my make up in high school >.<

i wore that sweater every single day in the winter time so i always wore purple eye liner XD

Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 6:40 PM on May. 11, 2011