Foot surgery while caring for kids?

I have a three year old, and my doctor wants to operate on both feet. It goes beyond hammer toes-there are some problems with the joints in my feet that have to be corrected. Basically, the doctor would have to "break" the joints and realign my toes!!

The recovery time could be 3-6 weeks. I'd have to be on crutches for the entire time. After the first foot heals, I'd have to get the second foot done.

Do you think it's possible to take care of my child while recovering? I'm unmarried and do not have any family nearby. I live in a 2nd floor apt, so it will be difficult getting downstairs to the laundry room. My dd's dad can take me shopping.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• Yes its possible & if its what you have to do its what you have to do. Prepare as much as you can once a week or ahead of time. Have a basket of snacks all set by the couch. Can he open the fridge then have drinks all set up in cups for him to grab. Have games & coloring next to couch, extra change of clothing, potty/diapers, as much as you can next to the couch to help you along. Have a friend drop in every couple of days to check in & do load of laundry. You can do it, it wont be easy & its going to suck but you can do it. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It really depends on the age of your child. If there's any way you can get help, then do so. Do you have to carry him/her up and down the stairs? If you do then no you can't do it. If your child is able to do a few things on their own then maybe.

Good luck!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:29 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My dd is three.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 PM on May. 11, 2011