What would u do?

what would you u do if your 3 year old daughter looked at you and said "you dont sass me"? my boyfriend just sat there when she did it to him. i personally would of put her in time out

goobersmom713

Asked by goobersmom713 at 6:31 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my daughter 3yo says something that is rude or has attitude I tell her no attitude or if there is a specific word I say its a bad word that hurts peoples feelings. After so many times of being told on the same tone or word that its not appropriate it then becomes a "time out offense" & she will be punished to 3mins in time out for such thing. But I dont put my child in time out if she says/does something she has no clue isnt nice or good I always explain things to her first.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i would have told her that she is the child and you are the adult, and children do not talk to adults that way. if i caught her doing it again after saying that to her then a time out would be necessary, imo
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 6:34 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It would be hard for me not to LOL
    Anonymous

• yes, that behavior, however cute, should be addressed immediately. That is how one learns NOT to sass....duh!
    Anonymous

• She's three, just be calm, be clear, be direct, and say, "we don't speak to each other like that in this family. we are respectful to each other." Remember, children learn what they live.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 6:36 PM on May. 11, 2011

• lol sorry I would probably laugh the first time, but then after that timeouts are in order.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:36 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would just ignore it and move on. If she did it again, I would tell her that she needs to use nice words.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:44 PM on May. 11, 2011

• When my daughter (age 4) says something like that, I first have to stop and think about if she is mimicking something I said to her at some point. I try not to chastise too hard when she is just repeating instructions that I have given her. But I do ALWAYS tell her that children do not speak to adults in that manner. I would definitely address it, but not make a big deal about it. Took me a while to realize that, at that age, any attention to certain behaviors tend to seem like a reason to repeat them. Over and over and over... lol. Good luck! And try not to giggle! ;) I, personally, have a hard time with that part....
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 7:32 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My niece said that to me once, and i paddled her butt. Then i told her I say whatever i want, and when she turns 18 she can do the same. Until then, if she wants to be a princess she has to act like one.
    CoiaCuppcake

Answer by CoiaCuppcake at 8:04 PM on May. 11, 2011

• when you have kids you realize somethings warrant a time out and some don't and if you use it for every little infraction it stops working. I think at 3, she is just learning to "test" him and he has figured out that if you ignore some of the tiny things, they go away on there on and stop. Now if she were older and grasp what she was doing fully, possibly a time out then.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 10:07 AM on May. 12, 2011