What would you do? Am I being taken advantage of?

Ok, I love to craft! I make all kinds of stuff, hair bows, headbands, hats, I knit, make custom party supplies etc. Well I am very proud of the things I make and I post the pics on my FB when I am done. I dont make making things for family if they ask, but now I am getting emails from "friends of my friends" asking me to make things for them which isn't a big deal except that they expect me to pay for the supplies?!? I was asked to do a totally custom birthday and they told me the colors/theme and I am expected to go the the store and get everything that is needed? What would you tell these people? I love doing crafts, but I dont think these people understand that these things take time and I have two kids on top of that. Would you just ask them to pay for the supplies or would you ask for more (if anything?) I feel weird bringing money up with people that is why this is so hard for me...any advice please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Oh, you should totally be sending them an estimate. The problem with having talent is so many people recognize it, but only want it if it's free. Because a) how much could supplies really cost? and b) it's not like you have anything else to do anyway, right? And don't let them talk you into giving them freebies as a business promotion. That rarely works.

(I owned a custom cake business for a few years when I lived in Iowa.)
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 6:58 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Sometimes people want me to do their hair for free, so I tell them "sounds great, I'd love to! Come in and I can give you a rough idea of cost"
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:04 PM on May. 11, 2011

• That's insane. I would send them something like "I'd estimate the cost for just the supplies at about $25. I should be able to whip it together in about 2-3 hours- we're all super-busy right now, but I'm sure I can do it by next Friday. Please let me know right away if you'd like me to buy the stuff and continue with the project- it sounds like it could turn out super-cute. I can send a pic of something similar if you're curious how it would turn out."

I'm pretty sure a lot of people have NO clue that art supplies cost what they do these days, much less how much time it takes. If they think you bought all 50 spools of ribbon for like $20 and are just using scraps and 1/2 hour to do it, they will not know how much they owe you!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• (oh, you can make it more or less formal, or possibly incorporate a charge for your time, depending on how well you know the people. What I said would be for friends)
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would estimate the cost of supplies and throw in a couple of dollars for gas then tell them you'd be glad to get the supplies when they give you the money. If you do not want this to be done free then tell them the labor cost that they will owe you. I now it's tough but it only takes once or twice before the words come out easier! You can even practice out loud at home. I have been where you are and it is exactly how my sewing business got started. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Definitely say what some of the other pp have said- just send a response back to them, telling them about how much the things you'll need will cost. Totally polite and within reason to do. If they say, Oh, I'm so and so's friend, and you did hers for free, then you can tell them that you don't mind doing it for family or whatever, but you're not putting yourself out there for free for everybody that sees your stuff. I know I wouldn't have the budget to be doing that, so you can tell them that freebies aren't in your budget or whatever and they should understand.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:58 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You have to say something and soon or you will be getting more and more requests. Set your prices.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:44 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Definitely give them an estimate, and if you don't have time then tell them you're sorry that you are unavailable at the moment.

People who don't craft don't think about the time and the money it takes
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:12 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Tell them you'd be happy to (assuming you would!) and make up a list of supplies you'll need along with prices (don’t forget to mark up a little).
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:07 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Show me the money!!!!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:10 PM on May. 12, 2011