Free or cheep carseat?

we loaned our car seat to a single mother with 3 kids, all 4 and under with no car seat, to use for her youngest, a 16month old, and its been a few weeks and we havent gotten it back yet. my dh was laid off back in Feb and we can afford to buy ds a new one, not even a $40 one. Where can we go to get a cheep or free carseat asap?? we are taking the bus and dont have a car ourselves but we borrow a friends car sometimes. Ds is 3.

dreamangel06

Asked by dreamangel06 at 7:00 PM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• just be careful to notice the expiration date on the bottom of the car seat if you do plan on getting a used one. they change the regulations often so just be sure that it hasnt expired...
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 7:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• local clinics give me away for free and hospitals
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 7:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Never use a car seat that is given to you. Call your local police department or fire department, they should be able to provide one or where to get one. Or you could call your Social Services Department, they should also be able to give you information. I got mine from a local place called Child and Family Resources, it was free. Good Luck! I know times are really hard these days.
    LittleCsMommy

Answer by LittleCsMommy at 7:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Let me restate what I said... Never use a car seat that is used from someone that you do not know. Car seats can have tiny cracks that are not visible to the naked eye. When I got my free car seat, I had to take a course and I honestly was looking at free, used car seats on Craigslist. After the course, I would never even think about it. A car seat is no good even if another car slightly touched your car. It is considered an accident. Plus, anyone can lie and tell you nothing ever happened and car seats expire. Please be careful. Thank you!
    LittleCsMommy

Answer by LittleCsMommy at 7:24 PM on May. 11, 2011

• here's a link to find a free car seat in TX:

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/saferiders/distribution.shtm

scroll down, there's an 800 number you need to call. you won't qualify because you don't have a car, but you can get one for your friend, and she can give you yours back!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Contact your local DHS and see if they can refer you to an agency that can give you one. In our area an Indian tribe gives them away. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:27 PM on May. 11, 2011