I caught a girl stealing my tips at work today...

my customer is actually the one that saw her..when i confronted her she denied it at first then when i informed her someone saw her she said "well, wait..i did stick this in my pocket earlier because i cleaned off your table..i just forgot to give it to you." the manager on duty didnt do shit. she said i have to wait and talk to the GM about it because they hired her for the dept of labor. she is mentally ill and the dept of labor pays our company to give disabled people jobs. I'm questioning if my GM will even freaking do anything because he is saving money keeping her as an employee. What would you do if nothing gets done about this? I have a feeling she has been stealing my tips for the past few weeks

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:07 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• They better do something about it. If something isnt done then you personally talk to the GM. Still not done you go to corporate. Did you get a statement from the customer. I really hope so. I dont want this to turn into a he said/she said kind of them. Best of luck. I was a server through college and if you bus someone else's table you leave the money there or you give it straight to that person right then and there. Not put it in your pocket for later!!! GGRRRRR I hate people like that,

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 7:12 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think if when you talk to the GM about this, if he doesn't do anything, I would start asking the customers to please, if they feel you deserve a tip, to give it directly to you or put it on the credit card for you to get later because someone there is stealing your hard-earned tips.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• hmmm... that's a hard one.... have you tried talking to her and telling her it's not ok? I think if they don't do anything thing just whenever someone leaves get your tips asap, I know that's hard (i used to be a waitress) and it gets pretty hectic. GL and I hope they help you out
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• The thing is, i've told this woman i don't know how many times DO NOT PICK UP ANY MONEY! I even told her like twice before the incident today.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:15 PM on May. 11, 2011

• she isnt even a server, she is a hostess
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If she's bussing the table, why would she leave the money? It's very beleivable that she just forgot. But I think it's sort of mean to bring up mental illness as the problem. The problem here is you can't prove intent to steal. The manager can't discipline her because you have a feeling. She could file for harrassment. If that's what she's doing that could be frustrating.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• she shouldnt even be bussing the table. we are required to bus our own tables. she just acts like she is this helpful person and goes jumping on tables before the customers can get out the door. my customer was in line to pay and left 3 dollars, i was cashing her out..she went back to put another dollar on the table for my tip and said.."i know you couldnt have gotten your tip because you were cashing me out." she handed me the one dollar. i asked her how much she had left and she told me there was 3 more..i told her i would ask about it. i asked the girl and she said she cleaned it but there was no money..i then said.."well, someone saw you put it in your pocket.".. she then fessed up, pulled it out of her pocket and handed me the money. she "says" she was cleaning it and forgot to give it to me..but why would she tell me NO the first time. she only admitted to it because i told her someone saw her.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:35 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i'm not bringing up her mental illness as the problem..i'm bringing up the mental illness as ..she may not be fired because of her "mental illness"..because my company is getting paid for her to work.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:37 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If the mgmt talks to her, then I doubt she would risk doing it again because she knows they'll be watching.

Answer by missanc at 7:39 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i can't believe so many people wouldnt mind working around a thief
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on May. 11, 2011