What's the best way to cook eggplant?

Never really eaten it or worked with it, but I'd like to add a better variety of veggies into our diet. I've heard it's really versatile, so I'd like some opinions on how you like to prepare it.

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 7:19 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I cut it into slices (peal on) and salt it to make it less bitter. lay the slices out on paper towel and lightly salt... wait a couple minutes and flip it over to water out the other side.

I like to cube it and mix it with asparagus (asparagus on the thicker side) put it in a glass baking dish, sea salt and olive oil, bake at 475 for 20-30 min.... check to make sure both are fully cooked.

Anonymous

• I slice them in 1" slices, bread with egg, then bread crumbs. You can fry it but I like to bake instead. Serve with sauce and pasta. Like chicken parmesean.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You can also grill it or roast it. First, slice it up in the 1" slices, then the key is, no matter what you do to it afterward, is you should put some salt on it first, then let it sit. Put the slices on one of your cooling racks that you use for baking, set that on a cookie sheet. You will see that water comes to the top. Yes, that is normal. Take a paper towel (I use a cotton tea towel) and wipe the water off, or blot, whatever. Most of the salt comes off too. I use kosher salt (the pretzel salt) because it has a lower salinity (it is not as salty). Eggplant is full of water, so if you try to grill or roast it before doing this, it will be a mess! Then brush it with oil, and either roast in oven or grill. Watch it or google a recipe for exact times. Yum!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 7:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You can leave the skin. Some prefer without it.

Layer your lasagna with slices of eggplant that had been skillet-fried.

I have to get you the eggplant dip recipe.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 7:30 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Do you peel it or leave the skin on?
    Kimedbs

Comment by Kimedbs (original poster) at 7:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You can peel it and boil it in water until it is soft, and take it out smash it and add lots of garlic and spices you like and it makes sort of a spread, spread it over crackers, or chips. You can also peel it and slice it in rounds, bread it in Panko bread or anything you like and fry it until crispy, then dust with salt and eat. Or you can always steam it!! but always peel it the peel has a bit of a bitter taste, unless you like the bitter taste. You can also make eggplant parmigiana, do the breading and fry then add cheese, alternate with cheese and marinara sauce, and put in the oven to melt the cheese.

Answer by older at 7:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• peel it, slice in half inch slices. spread some light mayo on each side, dip in bread crumbs (i choose crushed ritz crackers) top with parm cheese and bake for 18-20 min.. (just watch when it gets close to 18 min because you do not want to burn the cheese) ..this sounds gross because of the mayo but it is sooooo yummy!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Some of these sound delicious. Thanks
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:42 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Mediterranean Vegetable Stew with Poached Eggs
    1 medium onion, halved, thinly sliced
    1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
    2 garlic cloves, bruised
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 large vine ripened tomatoes, cored, coarsely chunked
    1 bay leaf
    1 medium eggplant, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch dice
    2 small zucchini, cut in 1/4-inch thick rounds
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    4 large eggs, at room temperature
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese or grated Parmesan cheese, (I use goat cheese)
    Layer onion, pepper and garlic in a 4 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, in order listed, up to and including canned crushed tomatoes.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. About 20 minutes before serving, spoon a little of the cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add tomato paste and stir well to smooth. Stir back into stew. Break the eggs into 4 small ramekins or custard cups. Using the back of a ladle, make 4 shallow depressions on top of the stew. Slide an egg into each one. Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes more, until the eggs are done to your liking. Serve some of the stew with an egg on top, garnished with the parsley and cheese, if desired. Serves 4.
    I serve this with brown rice, salad; and a nice crispy Greek bread from the produce market.