Wouldn't a bomb solve the problem?

A leader of the al Qaeda offshoot that U.S. officials have called the greatest threat to the U.S. vowed in a message posted on Islamist websites Wednesday to take revenge against the U.S. for the death of Osama bin Laden, saying that jihad would only intensify and that Americans would come to "wish for the days of Osama."

"Do not dismiss this battle so easily, and give your people false hope that if you kill Osama that it is over," promised Nasir al-Wahishi, a leader of the Yemen-based al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). "What is waiting for you is far greater and more dangerous, and you will then count your regrets, wishing for the days of Osama."

Wahishi said the U.S. made a "big mistake" by killing bin Laden. "For those who celebrated the killing of our sheikh," says the statement, "we tell them: We will see if you celebrate what the sons and students of the sheikh will send you."

arlier this year, National Counterterrorism Center director Michael Leiter called AQAP "the most significant risk to the U.S. homeland." In March, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said AQAP was al Qaeda's most dangerous branch.

AQAP has claimed responsibility for the failed "underwear" bombing of Northwest flight 253 on Christmas Day 2009, and last November's parcel bomb plot, in which bombs were shipped via FedEx and UPS from Yemen to targets in the U.S. The bombs were intercepted before they could detonate.

Just four days after bin Laden was killed in by Navy SEALs in a raid on his Pakistan compound, the U.S. attempted to kill AQAP leader Anwar al-Awlaki with a drone attack in southern Yemen. While several AQAP members were reportedly killed, Awlaki survived the missile attack.

President Obama has authorized the CIA and the military to kill Awlaki, a U.S.-born radical cleric linked to accused Fort Hood shooter Maj. Nidal Hasan and alleged underwear bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab. Officials of the Yemeni government, which has been fighting AQAP with U.S. aid, said in September that soldiers had surrounded Awlaki in the village of Houta, but then said soldiers had instead captured two-dozen al Qaeda fighters and a "vital terror headquarters."

In his statement, AQAP leader Wahishi also threatened Arab leaders who are cooperating with the U.S. in the hunt for al Qaeda. He pledged "intensive and harmful revenge" on the U.S and any "allies who celebrated the death of bin Laden, including the Yemeni and Saudi governments."

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 7:27 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Given the fact that one of their brilliant plans was an underwear bomb, I'm not exactly shaking in my boots. If that plot made it to the top of their list, I think their bark is bigger than their bite. We can probably take our time instead of blowing a whole area all to hell.
    Anonymous

• He got aboard didn't he??
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 7:48 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Personally, I think that their words should be read over and over all over the news ... by people who are laughing so hard they are crying, holding their sides, falling off their chairs, etc.

I think their words should be added as captions to pictures of small spitting (but really cute) kittens and puppies and put up on billboards and all over the internet.

When they howl about it we should laugh harder and our most serious anchor people should employ the classic 'neener neener' pose and point out that no one really gives a rat's patootie about them or their pathetic gripes.

Quite a few might fall victim to spontaneous combustion/explosion.

Why waste a bomb that we paid good money for on a bunch of loudmouths? If they actually do something though, make the place glow in the dark and say 'next?'.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:56 PM on May. 11, 2011

• He got aboard didn't he?? Comment by Carpy

Yes, he did.  It's easier to dismiss someone that failed in their attempt instead of realizing that we can't count on future attempts failing. 

Apparently, they tried to bomb him and somehow he survived.  I hope they are able to zero in on him and take him out next time.  I'm not one that wishes death on people normally, but I hold a special place for real sh*tbags like this guy. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:21 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Carpy that is not the underwear bomber, he is the Fruit of the Boom bomber.

I take them serious, but I'm not going to hide under my bed waiting for them.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:31 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I agree Carpy and I wonder how he managed to get away...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:09 AM on May. 12, 2011

• This is all bogus garbage. Bin Laden has been dead for YEARS! Looks like the government is trying to prepare us for another False Flag.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:25 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I like things that go BOOM.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:44 AM on May. 12, 2011

• As already said...light up the night...wipe it all clear off the map
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:22 PM on May. 12, 2011