Just came home from the doctors where I found out I have a ganglion cyst in my hand....

It is benign, so now I just have to wait for the MRI to be done and then I go back to see when they can remove it.
Has anyone here had experience with having a cyst removed?

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 7:50 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• I haven't had to personally but know people who have and have not had a problem. good luck.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:07 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I had a mucoid cyst (sounds gross, doesn't it) removed from a joint on my finger about 18 months ago. If I had to do it again, I would have tried some other treatment options before having surgery on my hand. I am in my 40's and the finger I had it removed from has become completely arthritic.

Make sure you have a very good hand surgeon and do all your physical therapy after the surgery. Good luck!

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:50 PM on May. 11, 2011

• smash it with a heavy book. that's what my BIL did

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Well I found out that it swells because some sort of liquid fills it and when the liquid drains out it goes down again. So I am just going to let the doctor fix it. Plus that sounds like ti hurts and can do more damage.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 10:01 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You're smart to not do the book thing lol that sounds painful
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I have had a ganglion on my wrist for over 10 years, have never done anything about it. It bothered me when I was working the job I was at when it developed, but hasn't bothered me since "recovering" from working there.
    Anonymous

• I still do things around the house even though I took a break from working. So even vacuuming bothers my hand, holding the leash when I walk the dogs, and typing. Which are all things that I do on a regular basis.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 11:45 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Had one. Um, they don't usually remove those. Its just a pocket of fluid. I had it drained and it hasn't come back. In the old days they'd pop them by hitting them with a bible, but that is not recommended. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 11:56 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My husband had one removed on his wrist a year ago, it just came back :( Dont know if were gonna bother removing it again.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 12:26 AM on May. 12, 2011