How can i get my 4 yr old ds to stop screaming he hates me?

It comes out of the blue. Last night I told him to stop chewing on his fork, and he screamed "You don't tell me what to do! I hate you!" I immediatly put him in time out, and am confused. He has been telling me I lied to him, and i have no clue where this comes from. Any ideas on stopping this? My Uncle recommended duct tape, but I'm fresh out lol.

CoiaCuppcake

Asked by CoiaCuppcake at 7:51 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd whoop his ass.
    Anonymous

• he may of picked it up from someone... my son would do that to me and his dad cause he would hear his cousin's say it and i hated it... he has stopped now and is only 2 but i kept telling him that he is not allowed to talk to me that way and that it is not a nice thing to say... and put him in time out..
    lynnlang

Answer by lynnlang at 7:53 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Sounds like hes looking for some kind of attention. My son did that to me too and I just told him "Well, I love you so much and that will never change" whatever attention you give him make sure its not negitive because he will just keep trying to get it from you. He may keep doing it a few times but if you give him the same response everytime he'll get bored with it
    Kats86

Answer by Kats86 at 8:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• he says it to you because it upsets you!

just smile and say well that's a shame as i love you then put him in time out but do not get upset just stay smiling he soon move on to the next thing lol

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:10 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I just smile and say "Ok, But I love you". I If you don't give them a reaction, they typically stop.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I was going to suggest something along the lines of what Kats86 said..but she says it best :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i would tell him he is really gonna hate me if he doesnt lose the attitude..and if he carries on then i would show him i mean business. i'd whoop his ass too.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:37 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would put him in time out when he came out I would ask him why he thinks you lied and hear him out . I would want to know why he started to say this and yell I hate you.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Well you're doing something right. They usually just do it because they aren't getting their way. Time out and tell him you love him anyway and you always will. Duct tape and physical punishment is only going to make it worse. Talk to him when he's calmed down.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:21 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Minimize the effect it has on you---like the others said,tell him you still love him and ask him why he says that he hates you. Ask him if he heard that kind of thing somewhere and ask if he would like it if someone said they hated him. In other words, quietly talk with him. I would never "whoop his ass". That is counterproductive and hurtful and does no good at all. Good luck!

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:00 AM on May. 12, 2011