Bassinets and Cribs

I didn't find out until later in my pregnancy that babies need a bassinet. What exactly are they used for? Are they used for a short period of time while the baby is still newborn ? Can someone explain this all to me. Can they be used instead of a crib?

medsck

Asked by medsck at 8:33 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's smaller so it is used when the baby is really small. My son used it for only 2 months. But it is not absolutely needed. My friend divided her crib so it had a smaller section & it was as cozy as a bassinet.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:39 PM on May. 11, 2011

• And my niece used a big basket for her little one
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I didnt use one for either one of my kids, its not really needed
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 8:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• They're not needed at all - in fact, some people feel they're a total waste. They're just a smaller place for your baby to sleep and they're usually not used for more than a few months. When a baby is really small, they make the baby feel a bit more cozy sleeping in the bassinet, rather than the crib. Yes, they are used instead of a crib for a couple of months.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:44 PM on May. 11, 2011

• They are used instead of a crib for the first few months...I bought one for in my room for the baby to sleep but he also has a crib in his room...they arent necessary but they can be really conveniant
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:48 PM on May. 11, 2011

• We had the bassinet in our room so that for the first few months they could sleep in our room while small.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i just went through this too. for my first, we used a bassinet for 6 weeks and then she went right into her crib in her room and did fine. we used it bc we thought we had too for her safety.

that is not true, it is more for convenience for the parent. it is a smaller bed that can be kept close to you in your room and help with late night feedings and such. babies can stay in it for up to 15 lbs, they vary though. you have to check the weight on the bassinet itself.

I just had twin boys 5 weeks ago and didnt want to purchase another bassinet so I put the boys in a pack and play in my room. they did totally fine. Last weekend I moved them into their own room in their crib. They are doing fine in the crib.

I would say only use the bassinet if you have limited space in your bedroom. If not, just stick a pack and play in your room. Keep the mattress high and when the baby is a few weeks old move them to their crib.
    Mommytobe618

Answer by Mommytobe618 at 10:02 PM on May. 11, 2011

• you dont really need a bassinet you can just use a pack and play that has a bassinet type top or just use a crib..
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:50 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I bought the cutest cradle for my son and spent a ton on it, and it was all perfectly decorated with a hand made crib set that my grandmother made small enough to fit it.....I think he slept in it one time, for about 10 minutes and we never used it again.....Iol....and the reason for that way....and yea I kno it's unsafe and yall prob think I'm a horrible mom, but I wanted him in the bed with me...and he slept better when we could snuggle up together...so....yeah they can be really cute and neat, but you definately dont NEED one. I'd just go with a crib, cause you can use it longer....especially if you opt for one that can be turned into a toddler bed when they get older....
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 2:31 AM on May. 12, 2011

• oh and I'd like to add that there is a good thing about having one tho, cause it's small enough to fit in the room with you, which means you wont be running all over the house at night when the baby wakes up to eat and whatnot
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 2:33 AM on May. 12, 2011