Sleep training a 9 month old

With dd #1 we did a form of sleep training, we let her cry for 5 minutes, soothed her, let her cry 5 more minutes....so on and so forth until she slept. It worked well. Now dd #2 is 9 months and still not sleeping well, so we're back at it. Tonight is night one. And I am feeling like a terrible mother for letting my baby cry. Seriously. Can someone tell me their sleep training success story?
Thanks in advance...

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 9:08 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• o gosh do i remember these days. not to make you worry about the future, but we are going through it again for the transition to the toddler bed right now lol.

stay strong!! let her cry and if it becomes too deep of a panic, sweating, shaking kind of cry then def go in and calm her down bc it is not being effective. a loud cry is okay, but don't let her into a panic bc then the whole sleep training isn't being effective anyway.

make sure that you have a routine... we do bath, teeth, pjs, books and bed. while we are in her room the lights are dim and we use soft voices. we also have lullaby music on and leave it on while she falls asleep. she holds her fav stuffed animal while we read. at that age she had a light up sea horse that played music and we left it in her room with her.

good luck!!!
    Mommytobe618

Answer by Mommytobe618 at 9:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would continue letting her cry it out, as long as she is ok, there are periods where she stops crying even if its for literally 2 seconds, she is fine, its habitual and in my experience its the best and only way to break it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:11 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Can you still swaddle a 9 mo old? Works wonders on our 4 week old!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:41 AM on May. 12, 2011