Afraid to judge and too many excuses?

Do we not hold people accountable for their OWN actions? Do we make too many excuses for people? Too PC maybe? Afraid to 'judge' people and tell them the truth?

I believe we do, and I believe that by doing this we create MORE problems because people EXPECT they will get help or get off the hook. We can't call someone an UNFIT mother if they water down baby formula because that'll HURT feelings. Then people say, "who are you to judge?". Well, why CAN'T we judge people anymore? If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, I can't call it a duck? why not? It'll help people become more accountable and maybe people will think twice in the future!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree. People need to learn how to be accountable for their actions.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I think we cannot always judge because we do not know where someone is coming from. Some people know better and some don't. If you know that someone knew better and then they still did something stupid then fine judge all you want. But until you know the whole story, and trust me, most of the time we don't know the WHOLE story, then we don't have the right to judge. I truly believe that when people know better, they DO better.
    Anonymous

• anon 5:01: OK, so this woman who fed her baby excessively watered down formula, and consequently almost KILLED him, knew better, so what is her excuse? She was training to be a medical technician, AND she did this with her first baby. So we blame the gov.? WIC?

Kids failing in schools. they KNOW better. LD or not, they have different levels of classes. AP, Honors, Std, Remedial, whatever. They know when tests are going to be, they are given HOMEWORK which counts as grades. They can study and prepare. How many more excuses can we make?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 5:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Do you think she was intentionally trying to kill her baby? Because yes, then we judge her in a different way. I don't know the whole story, but I think that none of us are perfect and sometimes people don't make the connection of A+B=C. If I do this, that will happen.

As for kids failing in school, what if their parents aren't supporting them? What if they get home to chaos, disorganization, someone telling them that their education is not important. Some of these kids are living with abuse, being abused, drugs and being neglected and it is crazy to expect them to then wake up the next morning thinking about a test or turning in homework.
    Anonymous

• Ok, when I hear "we don't know someone's story" all I hear is "we haven't heard their excuse". Everyone has a story they will try to use to to justify the dumb/irresponsible things they do. They were abused, they couldn't afford to, birth control failed, its the economy...apparently, as long as you have a "story" you are no longer responsible for the direction of your life and should have no consequences for your actions.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• why do we need accountability? there's always someone/something else to blame! **sarcasm**
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 5:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Do we not hold people accountable for their OWN actions? Yes, WE DO NOT

Do we make too many excuses for people? Society as a whole, Yes it does.  Society, to me, seems to be fearful of holding anyone accountable.

Too PC maybe? WAYYYYY to PC

Afraid to 'judge' people and tell them the truth? On CM-If they are going to post an opinion, someone is going to comment on it. It's called a debate.  It's good for the mind, it's good for the character...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

LOL... Ahhhh yes, The Barney Frank Syndrome... (more sarcasm) ;)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• exactly!! exactly why we can't be afraid to judge because of the taboo involved. Teachers tend to recognize when issues are going on at home. Neighbors, friends, teachers, other family members can all recognize this, but everyone is afraid to say it!!! We cannot judge because it is not PC enough, or the parent's will be put off or offended or something. Or people will say "mind your own business" or "why do you care" or "it doesn't concern you".
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 5:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I don't think the problem is that we are NOT judging people, because let's face it we're all judemental. It's that we don't act on it. Would you say something to the mother who is watering down her baby formula? Or help her get enough formula so she doesn't have to water it down? (I don't if this is just an example or if it's based on a real case). No, we just judge and move on. We should be accountable for not helping those in need, and for not stopping those who are abusive. It's one thing to just judge a person, it's another to stand up for what's right.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2008