Anyone with a dyslexic child?

The Dr believes my 6 year old could be dyslexic, he is showing alot of signs and Im taking him to a development center soon. I was just wanting to hear from some that have kids like this and what you are doing to help them?

greenbeanmoma

Asked by greenbeanmoma at 9:27 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• People with dyslexia see things differently. In order for their brains to understand and get the correct shape of #s and letters, they must see them in 3-D. Example: If your DS was looking at the front of a computer, he wouldn't totally get the correct shape until he could look at it from all angles. My friend's DS has dyslexia. She was told to make the ABC's and #s out of play dough and let her DS pick them up and look at them from the front and back. She continued to work with DS until he FINALLY understood and was able to write everything down correctly. Today, her DS is in college and doing well.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:49 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Keep working with him and be patient.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:29 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My son is and had a rough go in school. He had trouble reading and he just had a lot of issues. Be glad they have diagnosed your son early. They did not diagnose my son properly and so he struggled with no help in school for some time. He even had one teacher one year that would call on him on purpose and then poke fun at his reading with the other kids. However, once he got into the classes that gave him extra help, he thrived. They would give him extra time on tests and stuff and if he needed, they would bring someone in to help him with the reading portion of things. He never used that because he was nervous about being made fun of but it still help him a great deal.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:59 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I know some people who are. I don't know what they do to manage it, other then working hard.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:05 AM on May. 12, 2011

• No, never dealt w/dyslexia but I would suggest having the child evaluated by a developmental/behavioral optometrist since many learning disabilities are really undiagnosed visual processing problems. It was thought at one time that my son might have had an LD but it was in fact a convergence insufficiency problem with his eyes that was impacting his ability to do well in the classroom. He went through vision therapy to correct the problem and has done well ever since. You can have 20/20 vision and still have these problems and most optometrists are not trained to recognize these issues (ours missed it again and again, despite the fact that DS wore glasses from the time he was 6; diagnosed with this problem at 13). I'm including a link to the P.A.V.E. site ... good luck.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:49 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Here is a bump, I don't have any advice, sorry.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:20 PM on May. 12, 2011

• no...wish i could help.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 6:47 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I havent dealt with it. Good luck!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:34 PM on May. 13, 2011

• i may... but its too early to tell... my 2 year old is showing signs as well as her 3 year old sister...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:11 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My brother was diagnosed dyslexic. He had to figure out how to translate what he saw into what he was supposed to see.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:41 PM on May. 16, 2011