Would you have a selective abortion if...

My friend was on fertility drugs with a low chance of multiples. She ended up being pregnant with 8 babies. Yes, 8. The doctor told her because she was so tiny she should abort some of tem so the others would have a better chance of survival. In the end she didn't do that and lost them all. What would you do? I personally would have done the same.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Nope, I wouldn't. I went into it knowing that I could have multiples and if God determined that I shouldn't or should carry them all to term, then so be it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:40 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I wouldn't and I couldn't. As a mother how could you choose which of your children you are keeping? Hopefully your friend gets to be a mother soon.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:44 PM on May. 11, 2011

• That's so sad and a tough call :( I think I would try to keep them all. But man, losing 8 babies is hard!
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 9:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Wow, what a seriously tough choice. Honestly, selfishly enough, I probably would have aborted some of them. After doing my research of course. I cannot imagine though, having to make this choice. I am so sorry for her loss.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:42 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would have done the same! just pray is all you can do, nothing nor any doctor could tell me to abort my child to save another.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:43 PM on May. 11, 2011

• The same.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 9:40 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Anon, IVF is different than taking fertility drugs.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:45 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i have no idea what i would do in a situation like that. it seems more selfish though, to keep them all than to abort some to save the other one's lives, doesn't it? aborting some isn't necessarily for the mother's well-being, but also for the other embryo's chances of survival. it would be a hard decision, either way. im so sorry for her loss.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:56 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would definately selectively abort. It gives some of the babies a better chance at a healthy life. I am sorry for your friend. So sad.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Having been in the situation where it would have been a possibility, I really don't know what I would have done. I was well monitored before we did IUI (insemination) and there were 3, possibly 4 eggs waiting. I could have done 3, 4 I don't know. In the end I had a singleton, crisis of conscience averted.

If it came to something like that and I wanted to try again, I would not use the same doctor. He put her in a dangerous situation by allowing a situation where 8 (or even 6) eggs could be fertilized. Most docs won't do it because they don't want the danger for the mother, fetuses, or the decision to selectively abort be made.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:18 AM on May. 12, 2011