Septic Tank problems in rental home....

Ok so we noticed our septic tank was over flowing (we have only lived here for 6 months when we noticed) so I told our landlords and they called a plumber. Well I waited a few days and it started over flowing again so I told them again. The problem still was not fixed and they had the plumbers come out one last time. Well it has been 2 months and its over flowing again. Its real nasty and when I let my dogs out in the backyard they get all nasty and muddy from it. I don't want to tell them it's messed up again but I don't know what else to do. I have never had a septic tank mess up like this. We only flush toilet paper and we don't use a lot of it. This has never happened before. Our lease is up in September and we are thinking about moving when it's up.

What should I say? I don't want to bug them but I cant have my backyard looking the way it does. It doesn't smell real bad but I can'e let my kids or dogs play in the yard and its very annoying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• They need to have it pumped, and it might be failing. Call the board of health!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:53 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You have to tell them again. Obviously, the problem has not been resolved. Whether or not you move, the septic tank needs to be addressed properly.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:54 PM on May. 11, 2011

• As a renter, you have EVERY right to expect them to fix it...and as landlords, they are legally obligated to make sure it is fixed. Don't stop bugging them until it's fixed.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• What did the plumber do? Your landlord needs to call someone who will clean the tank.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:58 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Your septic needs to be pumped out and emptied. No amount of having a plumber come by is going to fix that situation. I would ask your landlord to have a pumping company come out and empty it. He should already know this. Sheesh.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Btw...I wanted to mention you have every right to call the landlord and expect them to fix it. Swimming in feces is not healthy or appealing. Hope it gets fixed soon.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• call the ll and have them fix it buy having it pumped then every month buy ridex and put down it and if you have any stewwed tomatoes put it down the toilet. I grew up with one. i know it sounds gross but if you can throw your tp in the trash instead of the toilet if its not poopie or af isnt visiting and dont put tampons down it either or wipes.
    Bellsbabyboys

Answer by Bellsbabyboys at 10:21 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If they or the plumber won't actually do anything, contact the board of health.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• A septic tank needs to be pumped out every other year. It does not matter how what you do, you still need to have it pumped out. A plumber does not pump the septic out. There is a special company that comes out and actually sucks everything out of it. You should not doubt call the landlord again, it his responsibility, do not feel bad about it. You should also ask him when the last time was he had it pumped.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:29 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Plumbers ARE NOT the people to deal with an overflowing septic tank.

Sounds like there's a problem with your drain field, like maybe too much water is going into the tank and there isn't enough room for it to get out... Possibly there is too much water used monthly for the type of tank that's there.

Having your tank pumped will not effectively deal with the problem for the long term, but it's an inexpensive short-term fix.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:43 PM on May. 11, 2011