Get your degree for a job or get your degree because of what you'll learn?

I am doing my research on degrees. I want to get my BA. However, the school that offers the degree I like with courses I would be excited to take is not regionally accredited. I tried to find like courses/degrees and it's so limited considering I am a single mom and can't relocate (so I need online courses). So I guess I have to decide if I am going to get my BA for specific jobs (for example, to get credentials to be a teacher) or get my BA for my personal educational wants/desires. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• The degree for the job - if I could have been a teacher without the degree I would have.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:04 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If the school you're interested in isn't regionally accredited, it may be very difficult to get credits to transfer down the road. Because of your time, location, and money constraints, you may need to think more about the job. Out of curiousity, what kind of classes are you wanting to take? Don't rule out the possibility of them being available to you down the road. You'll never be too old to learn!!!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:50 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Well, if you are a single mom I would assume that you would need a job by which to support your children. So learning for fun would be a waste of time and money. Unless of course you already have a career by which you are comfortably supporting your family.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:00 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I guess I already have a stable career as a legal assistant. I say I guess because it's not MY DREAM but it pays the bills and takes care of me & my family. I have no desire to be an attorney at this point in my life. But if I want to make my resume look better and be a more desirable candidate in my field, I should have my BA. I really want to get my degree in English more specifically creative writing. The school I'm looking to offers a fun and exciting program in creative writing. So I figure, why not? It's ACCSC accredited but not regionally so like jmpj8107 mentioned, down the road it will be difficult to transfer with the credits I get now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 AM on May. 12, 2011