Is it better to be a single mom on your own or living with family?

May sound stupid, but I live with my mom and my son.
It is nice to have the help but i wondered if living independently is better in the sense that i would not depend on her for help and i would do it all myself...

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 10:05 PM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• it depends on who you ask. Some people say its your responsibility to raise your child since you had them, and others say the more the better. I've dont both, I was happier on my own, my rules my way. Moms tend to overstep from grandma and think their mom again sometimes and that space helps them realize their role. I take my son to see my mom on weekends but monday through friday its me and my little one. I enjoy the quality time.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 10:08 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it helps to live with family if your single,theirs nothing wrong with it.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:08 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I live by myself but my mom does help me out. It would be easier if we all lived together. If anything, happens to my father. My mom will probably move in with me and my kids.
    I would not feel bad about living with your mom. It's a win - win for both of you, and your son..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:09 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I live by myself but not far so i still have access to her help! It's just what works for me. You may be fine living with your mom and if so that's great! I remember when we lived with my mom when kids were little then moved out after i got on my feet. I was concerned about my kids adjusting. I woke up and checked on kids because they weren't in my bed with me(where they had fallen asleep). Well needless to say my mom couldn't take it and was cooking them something and packing their bags to take them for the day, which turned into 3! She had a time adjusting not them! lol GL!!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:10 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I refused to stay with any family when I was a single parent. I liked to do my own thing. Even if I was hurting financially.

Answer by louise2 at 10:11 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think you should live with mom is good for you and the kid. Mom knows best
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 10:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I personally am a very stubborn person and my grandmother wants me to move in with her while I go to school but I don't want too, of course if I was going to be homeless I would go but I see no problem with single mothers doing either.

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:18 PM on May. 11, 2011

• more family which supports you is much, much better.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 10:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think if you can do it on your own its better. I agree with thelovelymzbre the help can be great but sometimes grandmas do have the tendency to overstep thier roles. Not that they do it with bad intentions, its just better that grandma gets to be grandma also and not feel like she "has" to help you parent.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:40 AM on May. 12, 2011

• When I was a single mom I refused to live with my parents. I was a grown person and wanted to make my own way. My parents had raised their kids and I didn't feel like I needed to put them back in a position where they were helping raise their grandkids (other than the typical spoiling grandparents should do!)

Answer by missanc at 9:59 AM on May. 12, 2011