Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I need help

My nephew is severely autistic. He is seven, he can't talk and he's not potty trained. He basically is like a one year old. I have thrown so much research at my sister, but she doesn't seem to care and does nothing to help him. The school he goes to is the only school in our area for special needs. But to be honest it's not helping these kids thrive. What can I do for these kids if their parents and school don't even care? I'm lost and I don't know where to turn to. I need help, please! I want more for them!


Asked by katrinad at 10:16 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 16 (2,363 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • You may be able to get some help from child services, but with it being your sister... it would get UGLY... I believe it's a form of neglect and he would likely be taken away from her.

    Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:18 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • If it's obvious that she won't do anything, contact child protection services and explain the situation. They are overwhelmed with cases and it can take 3-4 days for a case worker to get out there, but someone will go. Just don't tell anyone about it so that she can't be forewarned about it.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 10:25 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • I agree, child services should be contacted. I would ask if possible to keep your name out of it because it is your sister. Even if they don't, it sounds like that would be best for the child either way. Good luck. Blessings to you all.

    Answer by Kelly502 at 10:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • call social services

    Answer by angelrach86 at 11:30 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • This is so difficult since he isn't your child. If you beleive that she really IS neglecting him, then I might call child services. If she's just not handling it how you feel she should be... well.. I'm really not that sure that there is much that you CAN do. Perhaps joining an autistic group on here might provide some better answers.

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:02 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • i wish i could help. it's kinda hard if the parents don't really care to help...that's too bad!

    Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:03 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • I would definitely call social services, poor kid.

    Answer by MommaSiete at 12:03 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • I am not sure, but I would call around for support groups and info for help.

    Answer by KTMOM at 1:19 PM on May. 12, 2011