Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving section 8 to new state...can you help me figure this out?

I can't seem to get a straight answer on this:

I am moving from NY to CA in a few months. I have section 8. Would I have to have an apartment in CA (section 8 approved) before I move there? Or can I stay with my sister and her family (in CA) until I can find a place?

I would obviously give notice on my NY apt before going to CA.


Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Travel

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Housing Services vary state by state.

    Answer by MMXI at 10:32 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • I know that it will transfer from MI to TX. My mom is in a sec8 apt in MI and she's going to be staying with me for a month in TX while she finds a new place here. Her case worker told her that it was okay because it's federally funded and not state funded and although she will be staying with me she'll still have expenses.

    Answer by bdflykisses at 10:34 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • She was told that all of her bills and rent at her current place had to be up to date and if she was behind on any bills that she cannot move or her sec8 would be discontinued.

    Answer by bdflykisses at 10:35 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • You would have to check with the housing authority in each state to find out your next step. Someone I know who lived in MD had section 8 and she decided to move to NC for personal reasons. She put in her request to move and was given assistance (not monetary) in locating another section 8 approved residence in her new state. I do not know if this is how it works, but that was her experience.

    Answer by Acemom25 at 10:36 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • How to Transfer a Section 8 Voucher to Another State

    "Contact the receiving housing agency promptly. Your initial housing agency will have provided the necessary verification documents, including HUD Form 50058, to the receiving housing agency. Federal regulations require the receiving housing agency to facilitate your move quickly and efficiently and issue your new Section 8 voucher. When you receive it, you can begin your search for housing at your new location."

    Read more: How to Transfer a Section 8 Voucher to Another State |

    Read more: How to Transfer a Section 8 Voucher to Another State |

    Answer by MMXI at 10:40 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • Can a Section 8 applicant or existing tenant rent an apartment outside New York City?

    "Yes. Section 8 applicants or existing tenants can rent apartments outside New York City. This process is called “Portability.” Since the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program is a federally funded program, voucher holders may request portability vouchers to use or transfer their Section 8 subsidy to any county or state that accepts a housing choice voucher. However, Section 8 voucher holders must be in good standing with NYCHA and determined eligible to receive a portability transfer voucher."

    Answer by MMXI at 10:42 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • Thanks everyone

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 PM on May. 11, 2011

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN