Kids and contact lens.

at what age would you or did your child get contacts? My son tried them at age 9, but he wasn't taking them out at night and it was a hassel in the mornings.
So, we didn't even try at last years eye exam.
Anyhow, he'll be 11 in a few days? He wants to play football in school in Aug.
His is old enough, now? At age 9 the eye doctor thought he was old enough.
Any experiance?

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 10:39 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I got mine when i was 9 but stopped taking them out at night regularly around the 11th grade and am regretting it now since i was told that by not taking them out i had caused sever damage to my eyes (i had veins growing into my cornea i had no clue that could happen no one told me) when i was 22 i had an eye exam and he told me if i didn't start taking care of my contacts i could go blind from the damage....... so i would stress the fact of needing to clean and take out your sons contacts or just stick with glasses
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 6:32 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My son's best friend was wearing them in 6th grade. He also played football.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 10:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I got my first contacts at around 11. I got glasses in the 5th grade and after a few mishaps on the soccer field I got contacts.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• That was 20 years ago too.
    Rosehawk

• I can't remember how old I was when I started wearing them. I got glasses at age 9 though. My son tried and tried to wear them and was never able to. He is now 22 and still can't wear them. I think that if he is able to put them in then it should be okay. However, you will have to make sure that he takes them out at night. Even if you stand over him as he gets ready for bed and make sure they come out of his eyes. They can do serious damage to the cornea of the eye if he continues to sleep with them. Even the kind that say you can sleep with them in are not good because they do not allow oxygen to get into your eye and they can scratch your eye.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:54 PM on May. 11, 2011

• High school is when I got mine. It really depends on the responsibility fo the kid though. If your child, no matter the age, isn't able to care for them properly- then stick with glasses until they are.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:59 AM on May. 12, 2011

• i didn't get mines till high school
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:02 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Mine was 13, but she had wanted them before. It was me who was scared.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:09 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My son tried them at age 12 because of football/sports; he never could properly adjust to them so he gave up. My daughter wants them now (11) because of sports also but I'm making her wait until next year.

I've worn them for over 30 years and have never had any problem with them. Sleeping with them on is a huge no-no, as is wearing them all the time ... you need to give the eyes a break otherwise you risk damage to the cornea (like krissii states above, veins may start to grow into the cornea due to lack of enough oxygen by wearing them too much). And, of course, proper care is key. Most eye doctors will give you a trial pair so you can see if it's something you'll want to do regularly.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:22 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I didn't get mine until I was like 18 or 19, lol. I never knew kids could get them so young! If he is responsible, I suppose any age is fine.
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 12:02 PM on May. 12, 2011