If your child wanted to pursue a career in entertainment

would you allow it? Either music, television, movies, modeling, or other similar field. Would your decision depend upon their age? What other factors would impact your decision?

bishopblack

Asked by bishopblack at 10:49 PM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• HOnestly, if they wanted to pursue a career in entertainment they could do so after graduating High School and turning 18. I think it's a choice parents get to make for their children and respect the right of others to do so; further, I respect the decision other parents make when excercising that right. Personally? I think my kids need to be kids and it's awfully hard to accomplish that when you're working in the entertainment industry. THere's plenty of time to reach for your dreams as an adult - there's never enough time to be just a kid.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:09 AM on May. 12, 2011

• To a point. My daughter modeled and I had to drive her every day an hour away for jobs, casting calls and one day she had a temper tantrum and quit. Now I let her be a kid.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:53 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My daughter auitioned for a commercial. And she got it, but she cried and said it was not fun; so I just decided she would not do it. But her audition was so cute... "If there's one thing I hate, it's the taste of toothpaste, Yuck! It tastes like chalk!"
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:53 PM on May. 11, 2011

• One of our children is a professional musician, and we are extremely proud of him. We encouraged each of our children to pursue the career of their own choices.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:54 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If it's what they wanted I'd do all I could to support and facilitate their dream. They're 7 and 4 right now so it's still up in the air. My 7 year old HAS wanted to be a firefighter since he was 2. That's been slowly changing in the past year and a half since he started school.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:02 PM on May. 11, 2011

• To a point. DS isn't old enough to express a desire but I would say one audition a month unless it was local, They would be required to spend time with family and go out with friends so they aren't practicing or rehearsing constantly, grades would have to stay up and they would have to go to college to get at least their gen eds so that if it didn't work out they would have the groundwork laid out to get a degree in another field.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:03 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Of course I would. I would encourage them to follow their dreams, but would also require them to continue their education. Even if you are truly gifted you always need something to fall back on.

Answer by gemgem at 9:35 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes if 1) It didn't affect their education 2) It didn't affect their confidence or self esteem 3) It didn't become obsessive and 4) I could afford it!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My child has an interest in acting. We'll see what happens.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes, I would at ag 5 think they can make a choice to try anything and if they love it i will support it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:23 AM on May. 12, 2011