Do you think this asking to much...

I am recently divorced. Ex and I have a 5 year old son together. I also have a soon to be 10 year old daughter from a previous relationship. Come August I will have to return to the state I was living in, in order to continue joint custody. (court ordered) Anyway... ex wants son in private school and says he will pay the tution for our son until I get settled in a new place. Keep in mind I will be starting from scratch. No job and no housing YET. Is it to much to ask him to pay the tution without my help since dh only wants son to go and I dont agree? The reason I dont agree is because I will barely be able to make ends meet at the start of fall semester and until i have a good paying job. Also, I dont want my dd to be at a different school and have to pick up and drop off in two different locations. Unless he can watch dd as well as our ds for a few hrs til I get off work. Do you ladies think it is fair to ask him to pay tution for our son (I really dont see the need of ds being in a private school to begin with) AND possibly get dd off the bus for a couple of hrs til I get off work??? His hours of work are 7am til 3pm. And if I get a job that needs me til 5. Do you think that is to much to ask? I would provide her with snacks to bring over so he wouldnt have to provide them. I havent asked dh yet about it. Just wanted input first. (Yes, we are divorced but I still dont feel comfrontble calling him my ex yet.) Thanks in advance for your opinions and PLEASE NO BASHING!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• No I agree with you.
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 11:03 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i think you should let him pay for it if he wants to, but on the other hand he said UNTIL you get settled in. i say if he wants to pay it until, then he should pay it after. if he wants you to pay after you get settled in, then i say forget about it and put the kid in public school.
    dement

Answer by dement at 11:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• What is his reasoning for private school. I think if he is empoyed and he wants it he should pay for it.
    What city and state are the public schools bad?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:06 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You are absolutely right to ask that. If he doesn't agree, tell him you aren't sending DS to private school. period. And if he agrees, he needs to step up and watch kids after school until you get home. Don't let him push you around, where you do all the work and he gets the credit. Good luck momma!!!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 11:07 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It will be in Indiana. I have looked up alot of schools online and only a few had bad reviews. He doesnt want our son near drugs and guns. In my opinion that is everywhere.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:09 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Keep them coming ladies! hehe

Thanks for the encouragement Audrice! =)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:11 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If your ex wants him in private school and you don't then I think the financial burden should fall on your ex.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:20 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I understand your ex's reasoning on him going to private school, but the chances of violence and guns it can happen anywhere. It's not safe anywhere anymore. Tell him that you can't afford to send him to private school. If he wants him to go that bad, he should foot the bill since it is his idea. Is there anything in the custody agreement about his education? If you have to, get a lawyer and sort that issue out.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:00 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think if he insists on the private school then yea he should pay for it. And as far as asking him to sit with the kids for a bit until you get done work is reasonable.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:32 AM on May. 12, 2011

• if he is wanting private school then he can pay for it all the way....as for you dd i would look and see if the school has program she can attend after school for a couple hours....it would be weird for her to stay with someone who isnt her dad and it might make it hard on her......(here (ca) the have after school programs...there called SPARK....that are free or almost free some charge like a 1$ a day).....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:22 AM on May. 12, 2011