Education about Circumcision in childbirth preparation classes

I am interested in finding out from women in the USA who are pregnant or recently gave birth that have taken a childbirth preparation class in the last 2 years . . . if educators are teaching about the choice to keep baby boys intact, how to care for an intact foreskin, showing pictures or videos of a circumcision, the risks/benefits of circumcision, how to care for a circumcised penis, etc. Basically I'd like to know what info, if any, was taught about circumcision and/or the function of the male prepuce (foreskin) in intact males.  Thanks in advance for your answers!

nepenthe429

Asked by nepenthe429 at 10:57 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have a 2 1/2 year old, but when I took my class, they did go over some of the circumcision stuff. They debunked some of the health myths about circumcision (that it's cleaner, that it's safer, etc), but kept it pretty neutral. There was a video about circumcision that we were offered to watch after the class (so that parents who didn't want to see it didn't have to). It didn't show a circumcision, but it did have animations of what takes place, at least on the penis.
    We had already made our decision not to circumcise, and we would make te same choice again if we have another son.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:38 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Nothing was really said about circumcision but after my own research and own experiences told to me by uncircumsized men....I made the choice to circumsze my son and will do the same with the son I am pregnant with now. Everyone should educate themselves and not depend on everyone else to tell them. If you wanna know something then look it up:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:00 PM on May. 11, 2011

• 1/3? i highly doubt that....

Sorry, i can't answer your question so here is a bump!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:33 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Less than a 1/3 of boys in the US get circumcised, so there would be no need for it.
    Anonymous

• I took a prenatal class (nine years ago! Yikes!) that did cover circumcision pros and cons in it's curriculum. I'm Canadian and the rate of circumcision vs intact is about fifty-fifty, so they covered both circumstances. My instructor seemed to lean more towards intact, but it was a very 'crunchy-granola natural birth' class so that wasn't a big surprise! Our son is intact and I'm glad it was covered in prenatal class because there is a lot of misinformation out there... like telling new parents to retract the foreskin before it detaches.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• That's an odd reply: less than 1/3 of boys are circumcised, so therefore there's no need?? What the heck kind of logic is THAT??

I am not pregnant and haven't been in childbirth classes for many years, but when I was, there was no mention of circumcision.

All three of my boys were left intact as I feel that it's unnecessary mutilation.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:06 PM on May. 11, 2011

• That's true, Feela! My first son used to play with his dingle-dangle all the time and the foreskin was retractable by the time he could walk, but my second son - I thought I was supposed to gently retract it to clean the area, and that misinformation caused problems for him. Thankfully I learned in time for my third son (now 7 y. o. and not yet retracting) to leave it alone!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:09 PM on May. 11, 2011

• The only thing that was mentioned about circumcision in our prenatal classes was that it isn't covered under provincial insurance plans, and some doctors won't perform the procedure here. Which didn't bother us as we'd already planned to keep our son intact, though I feel it would be great if there was more in the classes about the benefits of keeping a male intact and the risks of circumcision (1 in 400 men will need a circumcision later in life for medical reasons, which is 0.25%, yet studies estimate that one boy dies every two-three days in the U.S.A. from the procedure).
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:10 PM on May. 11, 2011

• No discussion of it in my recent childbirth class, other than there is a choice. Nurses were hot about having our son circumcised, and their reactions were almost comical when we told them otherwise.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:29 AM on May. 12, 2011

• there was no mention of it in my birthing class
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:34 AM on May. 12, 2011