Overcoming anxiety....

I have anxiety about everything. Even taking my kids for a walk through our neighborhood I worry about if they're going to run off, if someone is going to take off with one of them or just stupid stuff like that. I know there's a healthy way to be concerned, but I don't feel the way I'm feeling is healthy or productive and it keeps me from living life. So, how can I overcome my anxiety?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Health

• Reading the word of God!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 12:34 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Have doctor investigate source of anxiety, treat accordingly with mix of something like exposure therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, natural or chemical medication, positive thinking and affirmations, and similar thing. Accept that there are things that you cannot control, and focus your energy on those things that you can control.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 12:37 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Realize that some of it is normal. Many moms have had that dream that their child was kidnapped or something awful to them. Having kids makes us more vulnerable as human beings than we ever were before. It is one thing if something happens to us but our babies? Ugh! I think it is a normal feeling to have and realizing you are not crazy to have these thoughts. You certainly do not want it to interfere with your life. But sometimes knowing you aren't the only one who has ever had thoughts like this can be comforting. It means you really love your kids and care about their well being.
    SierraMtnMom

Answer by SierraMtnMom at 2:39 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I agree with bishopblack. I have anxiety and am using some of the methods she listed. Slowly but surely, it's getting so much better and I am starting to more fully enjoy my life again without the fears and anxieties. Good luck, Hun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Talk to a counselor about your anxieties. They can help you manage them better. Every mother is anxious about their kids, some more than others.

In the meantime, think through each activity that causes you anxiety like walking in the neighborhood. Plan what steps you would take if your anxieties came true so you can feel better prepared and in control. Tell yourself that your anxieties are stopping you from enjoying this time with your kids and try to put them out of your mind for as long as you can.

Good luck!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:58 AM on May. 12, 2011