Testing for Kindergarten

I don't know if it's an Ohio thing or if they do it in other states, but the school tests kids for Kindergarten. From what I've heard, they have stations set up in different rooms and the kid goes into each room and does whatever test at each station...things like knowing ABC's by sight, jumping on one foot, etc.

When is this usually done?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 12:43 AM on May. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That happens in PA too. It's already been done in all of the schools in our area. It's called kindergarten registration. You bring your soon to be Kindergartener to the school on the scheduled date and time and they will rotate through the test stations. I work in an elementary building and have been involved in K registration in the past. They take the results and rank order all the children. Then they take a certain percentage of students from the bottom of the list and offer them extra services over the summer. Schools in my area offer to start them 2 weeks early, and offer to put them in the all day kindergarten class instead of just half day in order to try to catch them up and provide them with additional resources. Sometimes this is also a good indicator as to weather a child is ready for K yet or not. This is especially helpful for parents who have children with bday's close to the cutoff date.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:49 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I've had kids in kindergarten in PA, IL and WA and have never had kindergarten testing. My oldest went to public school outside of Pittsburgh and we registered her a week before school started (just moved there). All we had to do was hand in the paperwork and she showed up on the first day. In IL they went to a Catholic school and all we had to do was the paperwork. We just registered my youngest dd for kindergarten in WA and all that was involved was one paper to fill out and a shot record. She's all set to start in the fall now (well, when she gets the 2 shots she needs). There was a paper attached that listed things she should be able to do before starting (it said most kids could do all or some of the list). She can do most of them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:41 PM on May. 12, 2011

• We just did it last week (I'm in IN), but I think it can vary from school district to school district whether they do it or not. If there's some sort of "orientation" for the kids and parents, they'd probably tell you about it then.
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 12:08 AM on May. 13, 2011

• What if they are going straight from pre-school to Kindergarten...both in the same public school...to where you don't actually "sign them up?"
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 12:47 AM on May. 12, 2011