What is a good way to build your credit?

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 12:49 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• What I did originally was get one of those pre-paid cards and used it, making payments on it for a couple of months and then I was eligible for a store credit card. Got that and did the same thing until I was eligible for a bank credit card.

Best thing you can do to keep your credit score going UP instead of DOWN is never be late on a payment.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:53 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Get your credit report and find out how many unused credit accounts you have open and then call each company and close them. I was shocked the first time I saw my actual credit report. I had all sorts of accounts open that I NEVER remember opening. I don't know how much that actually helps but my dh was telling me it would help a bit.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:53 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Come to think of it...I think he told me it would help for some other reason...not to increase my actual credit. I should not answer questions in the Money section b/c I don't know what I'm talking about. LOL...sorry!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:55 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think getting small loans, whether it be a credit card or just a small loan, and make payments on time and pay it off. It will show that you have history of good payments and will up it! :o)

Good Luck!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 7:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I recently got a credit card and only charge little bits at a time and then pay it off. I was told that would help build credit back up.
    Ashley-England

Answer by Ashley-England at 10:02 AM on May. 12, 2011