PUKE***VOMIT***GROSS!!! How do I get rid of the cigarette smell out of the new baby clothes my mom bought me. This is severe!

My mother smokes a carton a day. YES A CARTON A DAY! I have rarely ever seen her without a cigarette or two lit up. She even smokes in the shower and if you don't believe that it can be done, it can and it is super disgusting.

Not only does my mom smoke all those ciggs in her house with little to no ventilation, my dad and two sisters that live with my mom are heavy smokers as well. They never even open a window. The house is filled with clouds of smoke.

Well my mom purchased lots of new baby clothes for me and after several washings all I can smell is cigarette smoke. It is like it is burned into the fibers. I don't want to waste these clothes, so do you ahve any suggestions?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Home & Garden

• what about dry cleaning maybe? a steam wash? bleach if you can...and then wash again to give them a softer effect
    Anonymous

• Aww that sucks :( I got a bunch of baby clothes from my cousin...she doesn't smoke, but someone close to her did, because all the clothes I got smelled like smoke. I guess it wasn't as bad as your situation though, because one wash in Dreft and they smell a lot better. Maybe if you soaked them for a long time in the detergent that might help? I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke, blechhh.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• We use a detergent and brightener that are naturally based, but they are really good at using enzymatic breakdown. When we're dealing with a really tough smell (like smoke), we add a capful of a solution called sol-u-mel.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 6:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I use gain apple mango tango - and me and SO smoke, but it gets the smell out - I would try soaking them in that and borax.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Hi, Have you ever thought of oxyclean? I use it for almost everything. Get the versatile detergent. Fill the tub with water and maybe a scoop of detergent, it depends how much you have. Let it soak for at least an hour. You can soak for longer, Oxyclean does not contain bleach so it will not damage your clothes. Then just wash with your normal detergent. You will be surprised that the odor is not there anymore and they will be very clean!
    hugorose

Answer by hugorose at 7:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Febreeze makes a liquid that you can add to the wash just like fabric softener. I bought a coat off eBay and it reeked of smoke (nasty!) and the Febreeze seemed to work best. You can also try white vinegar in the washer. Good luck!
    Kynsicat

Answer by Kynsicat at 8:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You are going to spend more getting the smell out than you would just chucking the clothes and buying new ones....so why not save yourself the trouble and just replace them? Dry cleaners can get the smoke out...but again...cost...
    Anonymous

• I would fill the washer and let them soak overnight. That has got to be one heck of a stench!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• it might be a lost cause. i bought my baby bedding from a couple on craigslist... didn't realize they were smokers.

I have the sweet LG red washer and dryer set... still smelled. Three steam washes until the smell was gone.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Fill the washer, then put in a cup of BAKING SODA along with your usual detergent, put the clothes in and soak for a minimum of an hour, preferably overnight....after pre-soaking, let the wash cycle finish. If the smell is really, really bad, use two cups of baking soda and one cup of white vinegar for the pre-soak. You can use this method to take out just about any odor in washable fabrics.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2008