Homework in Pre-k? What!

My son's friend is in pre-k, and I actually thought he was in kindergarten. Well I went to their house the other day and the little guy was doing homework. I was pretty surprised, I told his mom I didn't know they gave homework to kindergartners, and she said no, he's pre-k, and then I got really shocked! I know it's been a while since I was in kindergarten, but I remember a lot of connect the dots and coloring, certainly no homework til about 2nd grade. Is homework in pre-k and kindergarten the norm these days? If so, I am not looking forward to September when my son starts pre-k.

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 1:45 AM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I always thought that homework was a way to keep the parents involved as well as outside school learning. I think homework is a great learning tool, in moderation. It keeps kids focused. We as parents should encourage it. Their teacher isn't their only source of education. I must stress the MODERATION though. I don't agree with bombarding them night after night, but sending a worksheet home once or twice a week i see nothing wrong with.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 11:47 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My DS had a little homework in kindergarten and more now that he's in 1st grade. Actually its good for him. I get to help him with his school work and stay involved in how he's doing and he gets the reinforcement of his lessons at school while he's at home. I'm sure next year in 2nd grade he'll have a little more.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:50 AM on May. 12, 2011

• No, preschoolers should not have homework. Our school would never give actual assignments, and I feel like kindergarten may have some homework..but probably just to get them ready for actual homework.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:04 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My DD spent 2-1/2 years in pre-schook and never any homework. However, I have heard that Kindergarten will send home little things to do. I find that ridiculous. I don't remember when I started getting homework, but I know it wasn't Kindergarten!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:42 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My daughter gets homework in Pre-K, mainly writing.... and Kindergarten in the military school distrcts is just like first grade... lots of homework
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:21 AM on May. 12, 2011

• JoLee, this is a military school so I guess that's what it is
    cassie_kellison

Comment by cassie_kellison (original poster) at 6:27 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My kids didn't really get homework in pre-K although they did start getting it in Kindergarten and it has just increased from there.

The homework when they are little is usually one paper a night and my kids have gone to public schools their whole lives.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:26 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Kindergarten yes but pre-k thats a new one.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:27 AM on May. 12, 2011