Dog will not stop barking when someone is at the door...help!

I have a shih tzu and he is very protective, whenever someone comes to the door he barks until they leave, and he is even becoming aggressive and starting to nip at people who only wear dark clothes (??!!) ANy suggestions? He is 5 years old.

dys-shattered

Asked by dys-shattered at 1:51 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Pets

• WWCMD?

(What would Caesar Milan do?!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I thought about writing him!
    dys-shattered

Comment by dys-shattered (original poster) at 2:08 AM on May. 12, 2011

• This is the mailman syndrome! LOL. Many times dogs will bark when a mailman/delivery man come to the house. Because the mailman walks up and then turns and leaves the dog is under the impression that his barking chased away the intruder (self rewarding). I would have someone dress in dark clothing and come to the door with treats, I would work in daily sessions and work on having the dog sit. Once he sits and is calm and quiet have the "intruder" give a treat. You want to give your dog good associations with the experience of dark clothed people at the door. I am currently working with my 4 month old puppy to try and avoid this issue all together. We wait for the mailman and I take the puppy out to say hi and get a treat. My mailman is very nice about it!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 10:02 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Get a correction collar if you don't have one already. Put it and and a leash on and bring him by the door. Have someone in dark clothing come to the door and every time he barks or behaves aggressively, give a quick pop and release as a correction and return him to sitting. When he sits calmly, reward him with praise. repeat this in half hour sessions every day until he sits calmly at the door instead of barking. Be patient as he's had this habit for awhile and it may take time to break it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:47 PM on May. 12, 2011