My DS has a 12 year old DD and she doesn't know about make up for her...

I told her that at that age my DD was allowed to wear a pink lip gloss and a tiny bit of mascara...my sister was the tom boy and still does not wear makeup, and thinks this is even too much and my DN is begging me for help...any suggestions?

dys-shattered

Asked by dys-shattered at 1:56 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was allowed to wear make up at that age, but nothing heavy or dark. I was allowed eyeliner to make my eyes stand out, clear, fruit flavor roll on gloss, sparkley light plink or flesh tone eyeshadow and concealer since I had acne problems. I wasn't allowed to wear "adult make up" until fifteen when I was allowed to date.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• With the way fashion is throwing grown up looking clothing at little girls these days, I guess 12 is probably about the time when girls start thinking about wearing makeup but personally I think that's way too early. Everything is so oversexualized at such a young age now! Why do we need our pre-teens looking like adults when their male classmates are ALREADY distracted by puberty? If she's having confidence issues, help her figure out the things she's really interested in or good at and distract her with those activities which will build the confidence and show her she has value. I thought we women were supposed to be empowering each other? It sounds like you're just trying to find the quick way to solve a deeper problem. I wish someone had told me it's what's on the inside that counts. The outside is still growing at age 12...
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 2:20 AM on May. 12, 2011

• IMO 12 is a little young for make up. Maybe lip gloss. I remember i couldn't wear make up until I was in 7th or 8th grade.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:08 AM on May. 12, 2011

• 12 is 7th grade....she is being teased a lot which she can overlook if she chose to, I think lipgloss is a good start, that is what my DD started with and a whisp of mascara on the top lashes...I don''t think that is too much
    dys-shattered

Comment by dys-shattered (original poster) at 2:11 AM on May. 12, 2011

• my dd won't wear make up until high school. it is not allowed at her school. she goes to a private school, so its not a real issue for us.
    9th grade..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:07 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't allow makeup for a few more years yet
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:23 AM on May. 16, 2011